New Lounger
    Thanks
    I get a "Web Restore Error" message when I try to download and read a pdf file using Acrobat Reader 9.3.

Four suggestions while searching the INTERNET for a solution are returning to IE 6 or 7, re-enable Java add in, remove 9.3 and go back to 8.2.1, or use Firefox. Trying the Java add in suggestion didn't work. I would like to try going back to 8.2.1 but I can't find it. Removing and reinstalling 9.3 didn't help either. This does not appear to be an uncommon problem.

This has only been a very recent occurrence since installing the latest version of Acrobat Reader 9.3. Can't find any help from them.

I use XP Pro SP3

Any Thoughts?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HisSon View Post
    I get a "Web Restore Error" message when I try to download and read a pdf file using Acrobat Reader 9.3.
    That one doesn't ring a bell, but I don't use plugins to read PDFs (I set Adobe Reader's Preferences dialog not to open PDFs in the browser).

Can you open the document if you right-click the link and choose Save Target As..., then open the file from disk?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In case you haven't heard this before: try using a different PDF reader.

I had so many problems with the Acrobat Reader -- toolbars that I didn't want, the software hanging, the software taking FOREVER to start and consuming lots of CPU time -- that I finally went looking for another solution.

I found the FoxIt Reader -- probably via a recommendation in Windows Secrets! -- and have not looked back. When I get "Friends & Family Support Calls" these days, one of the first things I do is remove the Acrobat Reader and replace it with the FoxIt Reader. FoxIt loads in seconds, open files Very Quickly, uses very few system resources, etc. -- it exhibits NONE of the behavior problems I had with the Acrobat Reader. And it's free.

Just be careful when you do the install -- it does offer to install the "Ask!" toolbar, and to make "Ask!" your home page, and it asks if it can create an eBay icon on your desktop. Turn all of that off, and you'll be fine.

Disclosure: I don't work for the folks who wrote FoxIt, nor do I get any endorsement money. In fact, I don't know anyone who works there, and have never needed to contact them for any reason.

Good luck!

- Joseph Marsh

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You to both of you who answered my query.

I have installed Foxit Reader and it works beautifully. Other inquires on the net showed that Adobe is having problem with their reader and also recommended Foxit. For most of us Foxit seems to be the way to go. It's faster and uses less disc space. For now Acrobat is gone perhaps never to be needed again.

Again, many thanks.