New Lounger
    Thanks
    A week ago I ran into an aggravating problem and haven't been able to fix it. My 2 year old Acer laptop (Vista - ugh) started to deprive me of the ability to run any file operations in Windows Explorer. I first noticed it when I went to delete an mp3 file - when I selected it and right-clicked, Explorer told me it had to stop and asked if I wanted it to restart. So I said yes and have said so about 15 times since, discovering in the process that it crashes on every file extension I have tried, that it crashes when I simply click on the File menu after selection, and it crashes when I try any operation available under the Edit menu. On the other hand I can open any file with no problem.

I have tried System Restore and it has been unable to complete restoration on 2 different restore points. I've run a complete system scan (Norton Security Suite) with no joy, and I've tried turning Norton off - also no luck.

I have installed no software for months, and apart from virus definitions and Windows updates can imagine nothing that would have any effect on the computer.
    Help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Often anti-malware software interferes with System Restore. Sometimes trying system restore from safe mode will work.

Joe

Thanks
    You may also be stuck with a full system repair installation. The possibility exists that a system file has been corupted and this may fix the file. This is also another instance where a recent system image could possibly fix the problem. Doing images can solve problems with little ot no aggravation. Once you're back up and running correctly, think about the image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Mattoon View Post
    I have tried System Restore and it has been unable to complete restoration on 2 different restore points. I've run a complete system scan (Norton Security Suite) with no joy, and I've tried turning Norton off - also no luck.
    Norton has a setting which prevents anything from overwriting its files. A System Restore of course, is trying to do just that. If you have that switch turned on (in NIS 2010, click on Settings>Miscellaneous Settings>Norton Product Tamper Protection), turn it off, reboot and then try a System Restore.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I ran Norton AV in Safe mode and this time it found trojan.backdoor, trojan.graybird, and trojan horse. Norton claimed it dealt with them, but Windows Explorer was still useless. I ran System Restore in Safe Mode and this time it completed: still no Explorer file functions. I'm suspecting more and more that there's some unreachable virus though I can't figure out where I got it. I'm a couple of updates behind on Adobe Reader and Flash, so maybe one of those new exploits nabbed me, but I can't think where. I don't go to iffy sites and I don't use this computer for emails.

I used to make system images on all my machines till my USB external drive died a couple of months ago. Shame on me for not replacing it right away, I guess. Anyway, thanks for your help, and if anybody else has any ideas, by all means offer them.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    It really sounds like you may have to reinstall. If this is the case I would format, then reinstall. Since you are using Vista, this might be a great time to upgrade.

Backup all important data that can not be remade then go for it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Mattoon View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I ran Norton AV in Safe mode and this time it found trojan.backdoor, trojan.graybird, and trojan horse. Norton claimed it dealt with them, but Windows Explorer was still useless. I ran System Restore in Safe Mode and this time it completed: still no Explorer file functions. I'm suspecting more and more that there's some unreachable virus though I can't figure out where I got it. I'm a couple of updates behind on Adobe Reader and Flash, so maybe one of those new exploits nabbed me, but I can't think where. I don't go to iffy sites and I don't use this computer for emails.

I used to make system images on all my machines till my USB external drive died a couple of months ago. Shame on me for not replacing it right away, I guess. Anyway, thanks for your help, and if anybody else has any ideas, by all means offer them.
    Thanks.
    Going just from memory here but have you tried to boot to the Vista CD and trying the "Repair my Computer" option?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I started this thread some months ago and nothing I tried worked, till I was confronted with a seemingly unrelated problem on a friend's Acer laptop. He too had Norton Security Suite installed (a free version of the Symantec product offered to Comcast customers) and couldn't get online. I couldn't uninstall his Norton using the uninstall feature or using the Windows add/remove. So I downloaded the Norton removal tool to a thumb drive plugged into my Acer (for some reason Windows Explorer retained its functions on removable drives), ran it on my friend's machine and found I could get him connected to the web again. This gave me an idea.

One of the few things I hadn't tried in order to fix my own machine was to uninstall the Norton Security Suite. I had tried running in Safe Mode with Norton disabled, and more or less decided NSS had nothing to do with my Windows Explorer problem. But in a spirit of experimentation I uninstalled Norton Security Suite and my problem was fixed!! Explorer had all its file functions back, so I could cut and paste, delete, create shortcuts and all the rest. Very satisfying!

I installed the free version of Avast on both my friend's computer and my own, and resolved that the next time Comcast offers me a gift horse, I'll skip the oral/dental examination and just refuse to give it room in my stables.