Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking for a good and thorough learning/tutorial book about Word and Excel. I've found a few tutorials on the web but I think I should learn these applications in a proper, orderly fashion as it is mainly for work.

Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For Office 2007, a well-written and authoritative choice is Advanced Microsoft Office Documents 2007 Edition Inside Out, by Stephanie Krieger (2007, Microsoft Press).

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    For Office 2007, a well-written and authoritative choice is Advanced Microsoft Office Documents 2007 Edition Inside Out, by Stephanie Krieger (2007, Microsoft Press).

Gary
    This book looks more suitable for intermediate or advanced users. I need something for a complete beginner. Or maybe I am wrong?

And do you think I should wait for a book about the 2010 versions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Here's a link to a beginner book on Office, that has got good reviews on Amazon: Microsoft Office 2007 Simplified, by Sherry Kinkoph.

As to which version of Office to study: which version of Office do you use at work?

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, I use Office 2003 at work, but I think we will upgrade to a new version very soon. Because it will probably be for Office 2010 I want to know if I should wait for a book about the new version - is it that critical? Or a book about 2007 is enough?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you're going to upgrade to 2010, it's probably best to study a book on 2010 - there aren't too many differences between 2007 and 2010, but you might as well have a reference that covers the new features too.

If you do a search on "Office 2010" on Amazon > Books, you'll see several prospects.

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    If you're going to upgrade to 2010, it's probably best to study a book on 2010 - there aren't too many differences between 2007 and 2010, but you might as well have a reference that covers the new features too.

If you do a search on "Office 2010" on Amazon > Books, you'll see several prospects.

Gary
    OK. Any book you can recommend (on 2010)?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    At least based on looking at Amazon, most of the 2010 books by authors I recognize and could recommend (like Office 2010 Bible by John Walkenbach, Herb Tyson, Michael R. Groh, and Faithe Wempen) are not yet in print.

The 'Teach Yourself Visually' series is generally good for beginners - you could take a look at Teach Yourself VISUALLY Office 2010, by Kate Shoup.

Gary