New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this a new benefit of Win 7? Yesterday morning after checking mail I proceeded to the shut down on the Start Button and lo & behold something had changed. The only option available was to log off. Now in order to put in sleep mode I must first log off (leaving the desk top). I have tried changing the power buttons and also used the "properties" on the start button and nothing seems to work. What am I missing? Just as extra information, I have two computers (both running Win 7). The older one has not (yet) developed this hiccup.

I have spoken to support at the store from which this was purchased and he said he'd never heard of it and would look into and get back to me (I won't hold my breath).

Any thoughts?

Thanx

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    click on windows orb isnt there an > next to shut down?
    ruger22/45 Mark III rugersr9 glock 19 od
    http://www.georgiacarry.org/
    NAM VET

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you changed any BIOS settings?

Have you changed any power scheme options?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I was thinking perhaps an update got screwed up. I would also check Power Management. It may be possible to restore to a point before the strange behavior.

edit: spelling
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted: Probably going to a restore point would fix, but I'm trying to understand what happened for future reference.

Joe: To my knowledge nothing in the Bios was changed....is there something there that could be looked at? The power management was changed from Log Off to
    Shut Down, as a matter of fact I tried most all of the options there and nothing changed in the orb.

Mark: That's the issue, when you click the orb the only option is "Log Off" everything to the right of > is greyed out.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you perhaps accessing your system via Remote Desktop? If so, Log Out is the only choice. Or wait, there is also Disconnect.

Is there someone else signed into the system? If so, perhaps that is why Logout is the only choice.

Is your account still an administrative account?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pete: Thanks for those thoughts, just out of curiosity I looked under the users to see if there might be something accessing and found the following user: virtualapp/didlogical. This has a different user name "02koonelytypz. Does this contribute anything of value? I don't recognize an assciation with any program I am running. What might happen if I delete it?

I don't believe remote desktop is running unless it is the above. I am the only admin on the computer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You may be in a "Switched used" mode and the other users need to logged out of also.
    Log out of your account, and log into any of the other accounts and then log them out.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Now I really don't understand this. This afternoon after turning the computer on and checking mail decided to turn it back off and do something else. Lo and behold, the control options in the power button were back, I just had to go to properties and priortize them. Hmmm, must be Win 7 had a hangover (or glitch) and fixed itself.

Thank you all for your comments, they all appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibtzz View Post
    Pete: Thanks for those thoughts, just out of curiosity I looked under the users to see if there might be something accessing and found the following user: virtualapp/didlogical. This has a different user name "02koonelytypz. Does this contribute anything of value? I don't recognize an assciation with any program I am running. What might happen if I delete it?

I don't believe remote desktop is running unless it is the above. I am the only admin on the computer.

Did you ever find out who or what this account might have been? Did you get rid of this account? If so, this may have been what corrected the problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After doing some searching, I suspect this is connected to the windows mail program. I did not delete it, it's still there. It seems all is well with the world (for a while-I hope).

Thanks for your suggestions.