Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This should be a super simple problem with a super simple answer, but it can get complicated.

I am using an XP machine right now with 768 kb DSL.
    Computer works fine.
    I am an experienced newbie and computers are NOT my generation.
    I installed XP on a test machine that I redid and disconnected the ethernet cable on this machine and hooked it up to the test machine.
    RESULT = LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY to the internet

This is my WEAKEST area of knowledge.
    I poked around and found as I have on another machine with the same problem >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    IP = 169.254.164.172
    Subnet mask = 255.255.0.0
    Gateway = BLANK = nothing there
    NO other items listed

I tried REPAIR and did not work.
    I found that this puter is set to AUTOMATICALLY obtain an IP ADDRESS and DNS SERVER info.
    I tried other troubleshooting buttons to solve this problem but things get too complicated and I canceled.
    I even shut down the computer and rebooted and same problem.

I am NOT on any network.
    All I want to do is to use my current comptuer right now to post this and THEN when I need to get AV and updates other programs on this TEST computer to unhook the ethernet cable from this unit and hook it up to the TEST computer for use and then back to this one. I have to walk before I can run.

Any info would be appreciated.

Are there any kind of TUTORIALS on this kind of thing ???????????????
    I have books which are of NO help to this new puter setup problem which I've not solved on other computers.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    1 Make sure you have the right LAN drivers for your os and hardware.
    2 Try to press the reset button on the DLS modem. You may need a pen for the reset switch.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is that you are NOT receiving a correct IP address, Subnet mask, gateway address or DNS server(s) from your DHCP server.

This could be for any of several reasons.

Clint is suggesting that your Network card (NIC) driver is not correct or not installed. He is also suggesting resetting your modem to eliminate any misconfiguration there.

If you go to the start button, right click on My Computer and go to properties, click on the hardware tab and then go to Device Manager, do you have any warnings under Network Adapters?

Is the connection light lit on the modem port you are plugged into and also on the nic on your computer?

Can you hook another machine up to this network and connect?

What happens if you go to the command prompt and type in the following:

Code:
    ipconfig /renew /all

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The IP address is self assigned, indicating the computer has a network card but cannot find a DHCP server from which to request an IP address.
    Do you know if your ISP connection is a DHCP server?
    Do you have a router connected to your DSL line?
    Please tell us what hardware is between your DSL line and your computer?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am the original poster with same problem on the Dell Dimension 4400 - no internet connection as above.

I have NO hardware between the DSL modem and the computers.
    I am on a computer now using the DSL connection with NO problems to post this.
    I have NO ROUTER OR NETWORK - ONLY 1 WIRE coming from the DSL modem to EACH computer ONE at a time if needed.
    I UNHOOK the wire from this computer and put it on another computer and get on the internet FINE.
    I UNHOOK the wire from this computer and hook it up to the DELL Dimension 4400 and get LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY message + cannot find server in Opera which I use on ALL computers.
    90 packets SENT and NONE RECEIVED .

I pulled the ethernet card in the DELL 4400 and went to the Davicom site and got the EXACT NEW driver for this card.
    I installed the driver.
    I went to CONFIGURE and YES, it did install and comes up as the Davicom driver vs the MS driver when XP was installed.
    Yet, I still can't connect.

I go to CMD and type in IPCONFIG /ALL and get >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Physical address = 00-08-A1-0A-55-92
    DHCP = enabled
    Autoconfig = enabled
    Auto IP address = 169.254.164.172
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway = BLANK

I did the IPCONFIG /RELEASE
    Numbers above go to ZEROs

I did the IPCONFIG /RENEW
    Nothing happens, I am looking at a blinking cursor

The lights are ON on the ethernet card.

As I said, I am not of the computer generation and have given up for now = NO CLUE as to what to do next. Done everything I can think of.
    VERY FRUSTRATING since this is the THIRD time I have faced this problem.

Thanks again for any help. I know this is a COMMON problem and NOT always easy to fix.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Williams View Post
    I have NO hardware between the DSL modem and the computers.
    I am on a computer now using the DSL connection with NO problems to post this.
    What is the make and model of the DSL modem? Who is your Internet Service Provider? When you first got the DSL service, did you have to install any software on the PC you were using at that time?

Thanks
    Rule out a 3rd party firewall as a causative factor:

What firewall and AV programs are you using on the effected machines?
    Temporarily disable 3rd party firewall, if you have one, and use the native XP firewall for temporary troubleshooting purposes.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I really appreciate any efforts since this ain't simple.

I have NO firewall except the Win XP firewall which I am using on any and all computers.
    The modem is a Westell 6100 with two ports = ONLY ONE ethernet connection and ONE USB connection which I am NOT using.
    The modem comes from Verizon in New Jersey.
    I ONLY use AVG FREE on ALL my computers.

When I originally started DSL, I had Verizon CD which I installed on a computer which I NO LONGER have. I had problems and the Verizon "techie" had me online and took over my computer with my permisson to get things up and running. Have NOT had a problem with DSL since then. I did not want all that crappy software for MSN, etc. that was part of Verizon CD install on my newer computers. I just wanted the CONNECTION. EVER SINCE that setup with Verizon, I have had NO need to use their CD. My DSL connection works fine. On the computers that work ( about 4 of them with XP ) I SIMPLY plug in the SINGLE ethernet cable from the above modem and they work and I can get on the internet. With the other 3 or so computers = NO or PARTIAL internet connectivity messages.

Thanks again for looking.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I understand your setup correctly, you have 7 total computers all using the same connection by unplugging the cable directly from the modem and plugging it in to whichever computer needs access. Of these 7 computers, 4 work without a hitch and 3 have no connection or an intermittent connection. We know that the REASON you cannot connect is that you are not obtaining an IP address from the DHCP server. Now if I were onsite, I would try and determine what is different between the "working" and the "nonworking" machines.
    ================
    Test #1

Plug in a WORKING computer and make sure you can browse the internet, then do the IPCONFIG /ALL command. Post the information it displays Just like you did in the post above. As you are directly connecting to the internet, I would recommend that when you post, replace the last two octets of the actual IP address with xxx's (your ip should be changed to something like this 169.254.xxx.xxx when you post it)

Now plug in one of the NONWORKING computers, check that you still cannot browse the net and do the same test as above. You should not need to hide the IP address on this one.
    ================

We may get a clue from this if there is any difference between the basic settings on the two machines.

You need to make SURE you are looking at the correct return from IPCONFIG /ALL. If a machine has both wired and wireless NIC's you will return results for each. We need the information from the WIRED NIC as that is what you are using for this connection.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure your browsers aren't trying to connect through a proxy when you don't need one.