Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Windows Home Premium SP1 32 bit

    Prior to the last windows updates the first week of June I had installed all updates offered. On June 10 I installed all offered except the .net updates.

    Immediately after and since installation programs stop responding including Windows explorer. If I take the option to wait they generally will complete the requested action eventually.

    Today I used system restore to roll back and so far no problems.

    Is anyone aware of any issues involving the latest updates.

    Jim

  2. #2
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,203
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 215 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcgc50 View Post
    Windows Home Premium SP1 32 bit

    Prior to the last windows updates the first week of June I had installed all updates offered. On June 10 I installed all offered except the .net updates.

    Immediately after and since installation programs stop responding including Windows explorer. If I take the option to wait they generally will complete the requested action eventually.

    Today I used system restore to roll back and so far no problems.


    Jim
    Jim,
    Hello... I can relate to not proceeding on to "SP-2" as i have Vista Home Premium @ SP-0 no updates or patches.... SP-1...... and SP-2 all patches and updates. I do this as an experiment because, i have had some similar experiences (and I'm a "nutjob") resulting from doing the "patch thing" (just trying to understand how things work) and my programs doing as you have stated ...... What is the reason that you have not proceeded to the "SP-2"? If you can , take a "Image" of your "OS" and proceed on to SP-2 (go through the list and reject the ones that you don't want)This would be a good test and if it doesn't work you can then go back. I think that when you stop (at SP-1) ....some newer patches wont work ... Just my observation Regards Fred
    PlainFred

    None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

  3. #3
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Jim,
    Hello... I can relate to not proceeding on to "SP-2" as i have Vista Home Premium @ SP-0 no updates or patches.... SP-1...... and SP-2 all patches and updates. I do this as an experiment because, i have had some similar experiences (and I'm a "nutjob") resulting from doing the "patch thing" (just trying to understand how things work) and my programs doing as you have stated ...... What is the reason that you have not proceeded to the "SP-2"? I think that when you stop (at SP-1) ....some newer patches wont work ... Just my observation Regards Fred
    Hello Fred,

    First let me say that upon longer use since rolling back I am still having the problem so now trying to determine the cause. It could be McAffee Internet Security Suite since it installed a new version of itself within the last few weeks. I could have sworn though that this started with the latest updates. Will likely try ditching McAffee and go to Microsoft Sec Ess.

    Anyway, I haven't gone to SP2 because I haven't been able to find a compelling reason to do so with what I read about the newer version. I had read somewhere that the machine tested a little slower after SP2 but can't recall where. It is my understanding that Windows Updates only offers those updates that are appropriate for your OS which I would hope when include SP1 vs SP2 but I certainly don't know for sure.

    Jim

  4. #4
    Super Moderator CLiNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California & Arizona
    Posts
    5,527
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 500 Times in 460 Posts
    You might consider temporarily disabling any "heavy duty security suits" prior to installing some MS updates or patches in the future.
    MSE might be ok in this regard, but many major paid for solutions are far more complex and require serious consideration with regard to
    bad or maladaptive software interactions from a deep rooted system perspective. This can hold true for any software that has deep system
    hooks into the os in order to have the functionality it does.

    As you indicate, system restore will not be able to fully restore all previous functioning, there will usually be some glitch left over.
    System restore imo is a bad idea that is often misunderstood by many and not worth the resources that they need to run on. Like a tool for noobs.

    Many major os upgrades, like service packs, are best installed as part of a total clean install. And the software reinstall should be done
    in some very specific order.
    It can also be said that identifying software with deep system hooks and temporarily disbling them, or uninstalling them
    prior to any major service pack or upgrade can go along way in ensuring the upgrade goes as smoothly and as stable as possible.

    Any ideas that a service pack, like SP-2 or SP-3 causes more problems is complete rubbish in most, if not all instances, because
    of bad and often unnoticed software interactions that go unrecognized prior to the upgrade. This should be anticipate as the service patches
    offer security protection and added functionality that is ongoing as the os ages.

    It has also been pointed out that many systems, in retrospect, are unhealthy to begin with even prior to the patch or upgrade and the
    upgrade or patch merely points this out. But not always, sometimes MS really fudges things up up.

    I apologize for the rant, this is one of my pet peeves.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

    Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

  5. #5
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,203
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 215 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcgc50 View Post
    Hello Fred,



    It is my understanding that Windows Updates only offers those updates that are appropriate for your OS which I would hope when include SP1 vs SP2 but I certainly don't know for sure.

    Jim
    Jim,
    As it was a while ago, i remember that Windows was not offering SP-1 or SP-2 (if you didn't already have them installed) after a certain date .... thinking some time around April.... so if you don't already have SP-2 you will have to go to an "alternate sight" (as i did) to get the service pack. Think that you still can download a "stand alone" version I have installed the SP-2 and compared to my SP-0 there is no noticeable difference in "speed" ( keep in mind that I'm over 60 ) The only difference is the size of the "OS's (most all else being equal) Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

    None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

  6. #6
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Many major os upgrades, like service packs, are best installed as part of a total clean install. And the software reinstall should be done
    in some very specific order. It can also be said that identifying software with deep system hooks and temporarily disabling them, or uninstalling them
    prior to any major service pack or upgrade can go along way in ensuring the upgrade goes as smoothly and as stable as possible.
    Hi Clint,

    I haven't kept track meticulously, but just off the top of my head, we've had XP (initial install plus SP1 & SP2), Vista (initial install plus SP1 & SP2), and System 7 (assuming no service packs), which comes to 7 clean installs or one clean install every two years or so (give or take). Getting everything back up and running the way you had it with all the settings, extensions, and add-ons doing what they did before is one, a couple, several, a week--take your pick--day[s] of lost productivity (pronounced "Hell") .

    Add to these "mandated" clean installs are the advocated annual system rebuilds. Couple those with the advice that software should be uninstalled when not in use and I posit we're approaching the "thrashing" horizon.

    I agree a clean install is probably best but who can afford the time to do the clean and install, which, in my mind includes figuring out how we got our hands crossed and inserted tab A into slot C instead of slot B, and sorting those out. Moreover, In addition to the actual doing is the meticulous note keeping neccesary to affect the upgrade.

    "We have met the enemy and he is us," Pogo

    Live long and prosper.
    Wayne

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •