New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    I have Outlook XP and use win xp pro sp3 with a main pst file size of about 1.8GB. Yesterday mail appeared to be stuck in the outbox although the recipient rang to say he had received multiple copies of it. When I tried to delete it Outlook said pst was full and that I should reduce size by selecting items and use Ctrl D. At this point nothing in the main pstfile could be deleted - I got unknown error message. I tried to clear the deleted items folder which took a long time but did eventually clear. However send receive kept showing unknown errors - nothing was received even though it appeared to be and nothing could be sent. I have been able to send an Outlook test message ok but not receive it. I can open items in the main pst and can move them to another pst.
    Help please!
    Many thanks
    Douglas
    PS Have tried detect and repair but no change

Thanks
    Sounds like you have hit the same issue I had where the .pst file exceeded the storage limit.

MS has this article http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...001038351.aspx

Unfortunately, I didn't find another way around this but once it's done, it's done!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately this has not helped as just before it completed I got the file too large error message.
    I have tried deleting and archiving various folders but it does not reduce the pst file size - any idea why?. Also did run the scanpst file and no errors were reported.
    Any further help much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Douglas

Thanks
    The PST file will not reduce in size until a compact folders is run.

However that can be dangerous on a file which has reached the size limit, so for sure make a backup copy of the pst file first.

Really, the best thing is to create a new PST and then import settings and folders you need currently into it from the big one.
    Then move the rest into an archive pst, thereby splitting the load between the two.

The old XP PST files are very flaky, and the newer format only slightly less so. Also performance will improve dramatically after such a rebuild, but it will likely take hours to run.

Jock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jock
    Thanks for your comments. Having rebuilt the pst file only to find it was still too large I started archiving various folders including the sent folder which was over 500 MB. Lo and behold it started working again so i made this the new mail receiver and all seems to be OK _ i'll do a back up and then try compacting it to see if it is OK.
    Douglas