Lounger
    Thanks
    My son has installed a new motherboard etc, and partitioned his new drive; he has 2 other drives in the box, and is having trouble getting Windows 7 to recognise the partitions he just made with its own software. It doesn't detect them at all. Could this be related to the fact that he has 2 other drives in the box as well? All are formatted properly. He's tearing his hair out! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Do the drives have a drive letter allocated to them?

Easiest way to check is to right click Computer (whether on the desktop or start menu) and select manage. Then click disk management.

Do the drives show up there?

If so, right click on the drive/partition and select change drive letter and paths...

Thanks
    A freeware program like Partition Wizard Home Edition, or some other should be able to rectify that.
    What does Disk Management show? What does it list as the capacity?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this advice; I've sent him your replies. He says the new drive now shows up but not the others. I'll report any further progress! Thanks!

Thanks
    Best of luck to your friend!

Thanks
    This may also be a bootloader problem. I use NeoSmart EasyBCD v2 to fix bootloader problems. Be advised v2 is a RC (beta) for Win 7. It works fine. It is possible the Win 7 bootloader does not know where to look for the different drives. EasyBCD may help.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What are not recognized, the drives, or partitions?

Lounger
    Thanks
    At first it was the partitions, but he fixed that and then the drives weren't being recognised at bootup. I'll tell him about Easy BCD - thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If its booting into Windows and then the drives aren't visible it could be as simple as the "Hide empty drives in the Computer folder" setting. The setting is under Tools>Folder Options>View. If the menu bar is not set to display in explorer, folder options can also be accessed in Control Panel.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try changing the SATA setting in the BIOS to AHCI, or non-RAID (aka IDE) if AHCI is already set.

Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks to all who helped here: you're a great bunch! My son found a setting in the motherboard's BIOS, which asked whether he wanted to let BIOS manage exclusively the slave drives, or let the OS do it - very odd, I thought! And it wasn't in the manual; he had to search in BIOS itself. But all is well now - can't tell you which motherboard it was yet, but thanks again for all the suggestions. :-)