New Lounger
    Thanks
    I started having problems on my Win 7 home premium 32 bit PC a couple of days ago with Explorer hanging, my browsers and other programs freezing. Yesterday, I downloaded and tried to install a small Defender update but the PC froze in the middle and when it started again the update screen came up with the usual updates installed message. I tried to open another program but it wouldn't start so I decided to shut the PC down. A couple of hours later I powered up, it froze at the Starting Windows Seven logo screen. I powered off and back on and got into the restart and repair boot screen. After over 2 hours it looked like the desktop was going to load but it froze with just a blue screen and the mouse arrow. I left that on for 45 minutes but nothing else came up. I hit ctrl+alt+delete several times and got the menu screen for Task Manager, Restart, etc, but clicking on any choice did nothing so I powered off and did another F8 boot and tried repair again. That time after 1 1/2 hours of the repair window running I felt it wasn't doing anything and I couldn't cancel it so I powered off again. My final attempt was to boot into safe mode. It hung loading the drivers. (I had already unplugged all unnecessary devices.)

I have not tried the repair disk I made after installing Windows 7.

I will be grateful for any and all solutions, information and suggestions.

Thanks
    Hi BARC,

You mentioned this problem started a couple of days ago. Can you recall anything that was changed on your computer before the problems surfaced? Was any new software installed, or hardware, or a new driver installed?

It would be helpful if you list the specs on your computer. What antivirus/antimalware software do you run on your computer? Do you run more than one with active protection enabled (meaning they always run in the background)?

How long have you had Windows 7 on your computer? Did Windows 7 come installed from the factory, or did you install it as an upgrade?

Have you tried a System Restore dated before the problems surfaced?

If you Blue Screen again, can you write down the error message and any other information offered on the screen?

If you are able to, check the Event Viewer (click Start, type Event Viewer, press Enter and look in Windows Logs - Application and System logs. Look for red critical error at the time things were flaky. What Event ID's can you see?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Barc,

I also would like details on PC, any updates, Clean Install or In Place Upgrade, etc. Do you have a good AV in place or is there a chance a nasty got through to your PC. However this almost has the symptoms of a hardware failure. If the usual suspects for S/W issue do not pan out, it may be time to look at hardware. I have seen power supplies cause very strange problems on PC's. Also CPUs and RAM, almost any piece of hardware can cause very strange symptoms. I wouldn't mind knowing how old the PC is? If it's new, a visit to the supplier may be in order, if it's older a visit to a local tech may be in order.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi BARC,

You mentioned this problem started a couple of days ago. Can you recall anything that was changed on your computer before the problems surfaced? Was any new software installed, or hardware, or a new driver installed?

It would be helpful if you list the specs on your computer. What antivirus/antimalware software do you run on your computer? Do you run more than one with active protection enabled (meaning they always run in the background)?

How long have you had Windows 7 on your computer? Did Windows 7 come installed from the factory, or did you install it as an upgrade?

Have you tried a System Restore dated before the problems surfaced?

If you Blue Screen again, can you write down the error message and any other information offered on the screen?

If you are able to, check the Event Viewer (click Start, type Event Viewer, press Enter and look in Windows Logs - Application and System logs. Look for red critical error at the time things were flaky. What Event ID's can you see?

The day before this happened I had run scans with Spyware Doctor, Super Antispyware, and Malwarebytes. I use Avast free edition and Windows Defender. I do Windows updates manually when needed and there had been several this week. I run PSI to keep up with software updates and I had recently updated Java and Flash and Firefox. The only new software... I downloaded but had not installed Ashampoo Home Design. I have not installed any new hardware or other software recently.

My PC is a Gateway desktop. 500GB HD, 4 G memory, 9600GT Nvidia Video. I did a clean install of Windows 7 in September.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Barc,

I also would like details on PC, any updates, Clean Install or In Place Upgrade, etc. Do you have a good AV in place or is there a chance a nasty got through to your PC. However this almost has the symptoms of a hardware failure. If the usual suspects for S/W issue do not pan out, it may be time to look at hardware. I have seen power supplies cause very strange problems on PC's. Also CPUs and RAM, almost any piece of hardware can cause very strange symptoms. I wouldn't mind knowing how old the PC is? If it's new, a visit to the supplier may be in order, if it's older a visit to a local tech may be in order.
    The PC is about 4 years old. The video card, hard drive and 2 Gs of ram, I installed myself at the time I installed 7. 7 was an upgrade version but I did a clean install on the new hard drive.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Barc,
    Will you quit using the BOLD font, it is very hard to read.
    Thank you.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    I would first check the output voltages of the power supply using a good monitor such as HWMonitor or a similar app, that is assuming you can boot to get to that point.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BARC View Post
    The day before this happened I had run scans with Spyware Doctor, Super Antispyware, and Malwarebytes. I use Avast free edition and Windows Defender.
    Do Spyware Doctor, SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes run with active protection (constantly monitoring in the background)?

I realize you probably cannot get any info from the Windows Error logs, but can you get any information from a blue screen that freezes on your display?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Do Spyware Doctor, SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes run with active protection (constantly monitoring in the background)?

I realize you probably cannot get any info from the Windows Error logs, but can you get any information from a blue screen that freezes on your display?
    I think Spyware Doctor runs. I do not get any error messages on the screen when it stops. It simply stops loading.

I am now trying a system restore after I got the System Recovery Options to come up and I chose restore to see if it gave me any choices. There was one where I had done a backup and restore on an external hard drive about a month ago. I plugged it in and it is running now.