2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Expired: subscription to ancient Internet Security system for my equally ancient computer's operating system.

Needed: free or very inexpensive firewall or other Internet security program to use with Windows 2000 (temporarily while setting up new computer).

Recommendations???

Administrator
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've read that ZoneAlarm is a highly rated program, so I downloaded it. One more question before installing -- The resource I read stated that you should have only one firewall. ZA includes an anti-virus program, and I already have Avast! Anti-virus on this computer. Should I remove Avast?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I thought the free version of ZA was just a firewall. Did you pay for it?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I did not pay for ZoneAlarm. However, I have no idea if the actual program includes anti-virus features or not because I haven't found a version that's compatible with my Windows 2000 operating system. So far, I have downloaded 3 versions, each "earlier" than the last. The system requirements all seem to say that ZA is compatible with Win 2000, but when I try to install the program, it says no. My confusion level is rising as rapidly as the flood waters here in St. Louis!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try the last of the version 7 releases.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. The version 7 works. I'll probably never need it again, but how did you figure out that this would be a version that was appropriate for a Windows 2000 computer?

Also, the free version does indeed include an anti-virus component. I'm wondering if it would be better to turn it on or to keep using the Avast! anti-virus program I installed just a few days ago (also free and recommended by one of you super loungers).

Administrator
    Thanks
    I just remembered seeing a old post at Zonealarm.com about version 7 being the last that specifically supported Win2k. I just wasn't entirely sure when I saw that Win2k was claimed to be supported on later versions at oldapps.com.

From your first post, I surmised that this is a rather short term situation until a new PC is provisioned. I'd take the easy way out. Since Avast is installed and working I'd just leave it be.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help, Joe! ZoneAlarm and Avast seem to be happily co-existing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Zonealarm for the win. Thanks for the compatible versions

Windows 2000 For The Win