Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WOODY'S WINDOWS

Act now to save money on Microsoft Office 2010

By Woody Leonhard

With the official consumer release of Office 2010 now in full swing, sticker shock awaits. Office 2010 may be many things, but cheap ain't one of 'em.

If you act immediately on Microsoft's model-end clearance sale, you can save a great deal of money — more than U.S. $200 in one scenario.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/06/17/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 15:50.

Thanks
    I just got a warning from one reader who ordered Office 2007 "full edition" from Amazon - and received a black plain CD case with an apparently valid CD, with writing in pen on the cover of the case. It was an Enterprise version, which can't be registered, and shouldn't be sold at retail.

Right now I'm trying to get in touch with Amazon, but haven't had any luck.

Until I hear back, I'd advise you to NOT buy Office 2007 from Amazon.
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    Microsoft screwed up Vista and had to rush Win7 out the door to try and recover.

Now with no upgrades and the staggering pricing they have set for Office 2010, I wonder if they will be forced to do something like offer 50% off pricing when Office 2010 fails?

Personally, I am happy with Office 2007 and don't see any real reason to switch to Office 2010 at the pricing they want. Plus, I think a lot of people will find something like Open Office "good enough" for what they need.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft offers a Military Appreciation discount on Office 2010 Home and Student Version for $79.95 on the Office Home page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/offe...2222&WT.srch=1
    topgum

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still using Office 2000 Professional. I guess I'm stuck with the full price from what you are saying? I need Access so the smaller packages won't do. Any advice?

Thanks, Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft is offering its Ultimate steal again to the student/Academic Community. Office Professional 2010 for $79.95 and Windows 7 for $29.95. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO PROVIDE ACADEMIC CREDENTIALS
    http://www.microsoft.com/student/off...-us/terms.aspx

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Klein View Post
    Microsoft is offering its Ultimate steal again to the student/Academic Community. Office Professional 2010 for $79.95 and Windows 7 for $29.95. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO PROVIDE ACADEMIC CREDENTIALS
    http://www.microsoft.com/student/off...-us/terms.aspx
    Yes, I'm aware of that. That would be wonderful but I don't have any academic credentials so I don't think I can qualify.

Thanks, Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    I'm still using Office 2000 Professional. I guess I'm stuck with the full price from what you are saying? I need Access so the smaller packages won't do. Any advice?
    Check this out. Office 2000 qualifies for Office 2007 upgrade pricing. See Office 2000 is upgradable to Office 2007 - Office Watch. Once you have Office 2007 you qualify for the Office 2010 technology guarantee. See Microsoft Office 2010 Technology Guarantee - Microsoft Office.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I get Office Watch but I had forgotten that! I'll go look for Office 2007 right away.

Thanks, Bill

Thanks
    UPDATE ON AMAZON -

You'll never believe this, but Amazon got back to our reader, and gave her a full refund. Very quick, very professional. So I'm back to recommending that you check out Amazon for upgrade pricing.
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Lounger
    Thanks
    What a load of you know what. Good old MS tries so hard to rip off its loyal customers these days! I have fully paid upgrade versions of 2003 & 2007 Pro. Now, they want me to pay the full price on 2010 with no upgrade path. What hogwash! Iíll just sit tight & see if they have a change of heart although the only way that will happen is if sales of 2010 go nowhere fast.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Dunson View Post
    What a load of you know what. Good old MS tries so hard to rip off its loyal customers these days! I have fully paid upgrade versions of 2003 & 2007 Pro. Now, they want me to pay the full price on 2010 with no upgrade path. What hogwash! Iíll just sit tight & see if they have a change of heart although the only way that will happen is if sales of 2010 go nowhere fast.
    Actually, you do have an upgrade path. Buy a copy of Office Small Business 2007 now (currently $213.60 at Amazon) and you're qualified for a free upgrade to Office Pro 2010. Of course, you'll still have to install and activate the new 2007 upgrade by whichever method best fits your situation. Office Watch has all the details here: http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.asp...1450&zoneid=12

Only Microsoft....

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Thursby View Post
    Actually, you do have an upgrade path. Buy a copy of Office Small Business 2007 now (currently $213.60 at Amazon) and you're qualified for a free upgrade to Office Pro 2010. Of course, you'll still have to install and activate the new 2007 upgrade by whichever method best fits your situation. Office Watch has all the details here: http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.asp...1450&zoneid=12

Only Microsoft....
    Thanks for the informative reply! Hmm, $214 is a bit more palatable than $500! But then, I'm also faced with their new licensing scheme where I'll have to spend more $$ to run on 2 machines. Good old MS...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Dunson View Post
    Thanks for the informative reply! Hmm, $214 is a bit more palatable than $500! But then, I'm also faced with their new licensing scheme where I'll have to spend more $$ to run on 2 machines. Good old MS...
    I think that you'll be OK with a single purchase. Both the 2007 and 2010 versions are considered as FPP (versus OEM and PKC) for licensing purposes which allows both a desktop installation and a "portable computer" installation. Obviously, I don't know what type of machines you're using, but as a practical matter, Microsoft presumably wouldn't know, either. There's certainly no harm in trying before paying twice!

MS has all of the gruesome details here http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-u...Include07Suite

Good luck!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Thursby View Post
    I think that you'll be OK with a single purchase. Both the 2007 and 2010 versions are considered as FPP (versus OEM and PKC) for licensing purposes which allows both a desktop installation and a "portable computer" installation. Obviously, I don't know what type of machines you're using, but as a practical matter, Microsoft presumably wouldn't know, either. There's certainly no harm in trying before paying twice!

MS has all of the gruesome details here http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-u...Include07Suite

Good luck!
    Hmm, I just figured that they were invoking the same ridiculous licensing policy as they did with Win 7. Thanks again for all of your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast