2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LANGALIST PLUS

Is 'Sleep' the same as 'Suspend' or 'Standby'?

By Fred Langa

The sleep-state modes programmed into today's PCs are rigidly defined, but the common names of these modes vary wildly from vendor to vendor.

With no standardized language, it can be difficult to know exactly what it means when your PC goes into Stand by mode. But here's help.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/06/17/04 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 18:25.

Lounger
    Thanks
    "My Office 2007 and Adobe applications and files now only show the same generic icon with little arrows for internal functions. Everything still works, but the icons are all the same. It's just these applications. The Recycle and other system icons remain unaffected."

My response to this is that the icon cache may be corrupted. Here's a fix

New Lounger
    Thanks
    MS Office and Adobe icons no longer meaningful - Couldn't you just re-associate the extension with the application? In windows explorer, right click, properties, "Opens With" choose correct application.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How long do hard drives last in storage?

Craig Benson has a ton of music files that he wants to preserve on a hard drive placed in storage.
    "I have a question about relatively long-term backup of files that don't change much ripped CDs, archived files, etc. With the free fall in prices on 1+ TB drives, I have found myself with an embarrassment of perfectly well-functioning ATA hard drives in the 160-320 GB range. I know you recommend CD-ROM for long-term storage, but the limited capacity makes it difficult to store half a terabyte of WMA lossless files on a reasonable number of disks.

"My question is whether unconnected hard drives are a good long-term storage medium. Most of the time they will be sitting in a climate-controlled area, not connected to anything."
    In a truly climate-controlled area away from extremes of temperature, light, humidity, dust, static discharge, etc. any data-storage medium will last a very long time.

With hard drives, the magnetic surfaces will be fine almost indefinitely in climate-controlled storage, but the lubrication for the drive's moving parts will slowly degrade, no matter what. At some point, the drive may no longer be mechanically able to access the data that's still perfectly encoded on the platters.

But with careful storage, that will be a long way off. I'd suggest testing the drives from time to time every year or two, perhaps to make sure all is well. Again, with careful storage, I'll bet your drives will last for decades.

TomsHardware.com has a good forum thread titled "What Is the Best Solution for Storing Hard Drives?" Slashdot.com also has some good suggestions (intermingled with the usual cheeky banter, jokes, and insults) in an Ask Slashdot item, "How to Store Internal Hard Drives?"

But the key to all of this is controlled conditions; storage in a damp closet or on a dusty shelf won't do. The more change in temperature, light, humidity, dust, static discharge, and so forth, the shorter the life of any data-storage medium.

And while you're at it, if you have many drives to spare, make multiple backups of the same data. That way, you'll avoid data-loss due to any one hardware failure.

It something matters to you, back it up and treat it gently!

One problem with keeping data on this old drives is backward-compatibility -- the support for those drives by future (and current!) computers. You may have to keep an old pc around, or a USB external device that supports IDE technology, in order to access the data on them.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Berman View Post
    [i]How long do hard drives last in storage?

One problem with keeping data on this old drives is backward-compatibility -- the support for those drives by future (and current!) computers. You may have to keep an old pc around, or a USB external device that supports IDE technology, in order to access the data on them.

Compatibility issues aside, would keeping a backup hard drive in one of those vacuum storage plastic bags work? You know, the ones you use in the kitchen to keep food longer by sucking all the air out?