New Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings to all,

This is my first post and I trust I am posting my concern in the correct thread for my issue...

Yep, I know there are other threads speaking of IE8 issues, but this one seems to have some of my concerns in a roundabout form

Before I begin, I am on a Dell Inspiron Desktop [2005] with Windows XP SP3, I receive/allow ALL windows automatic updates, I have full McAfee Security Centre software and perform full virus checks weekly, and perform QuickClean after most all browsing sessions.

On June 14 whilst in a browsing session, IE crashed and I got a "Windows Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe - Apllication Error" The instruction at "***" referenced memory at "***". The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate, Cancel to debug. Neither option could be performed due to file path not being read, or something like that - damn I didnt keep a copy of that message!

It appears a startup Item was allowed through my McAfee SystemGuards function, and after several full and complete virus scans I was able to remove 4 different items that had gotten into my system. Recent full scans show no "baddies".

However, since the original crash I have not been able to open IE via my QuickLaunch icon or my IE Program link...

I attempted to conduct a Sytem Restore, only to find there were NO system checkpoints ANYWHERE except since the crash event.

This has never happened before! I have used SR on several occasions, always with success - even though I am now more informed about how SR is really only a spare tyre so to speak - so I have no idea how come there are no restore points, and I have checked all the appropriate parameters for 'choosing' not to have them, and I have none of them in place, so as far as I can determine I ought to be producing checkpoints as normal.

The way I have managed to get around this IE issue has been to open my browser ONLY through email links that get me in there, then I can play/do as I always have, but this is not a FIX and I do have concerns about how to correct this problem.

I wondered about uninstalling IE and reinstalling... I also have found oddities in my Windows Task Manager Processes Log, showing processes titled 4.exe and 5.exe and qtplugin.exe that I know were not there previously.

If anyone has any leads that can assist me I would be very appreciative. If more information is needed to have a clearer understanding of my issue, just ask.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I split this into its own thread. It will likely get more attention as a separate thread. It gets confusing trying to keep track of questions and answers when there is more than one topic/question in a thread.

Do you get an error message?

Can you start IE if you go to Strart | Run and type in "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" (without the quotation marks)?

Can you uninstall and reinstall IE8?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHeart View Post
    I also have found oddities in my Windows Task Manager Processes Log, showing processes titled 4.exe and 5.exe and qtplugin.exe that I know were not there previously.
    In Windows XP, the Task Manager's Processes tab has a good deal of information, but it is not complete. You can get more insight into the source and nature of mystery processes using a program from Microsoft/SysInternals named Process Explorer. For example, it should list the actual path on disk from which the mystery programs are running, which may be helpful in determining whether they are legitimate.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bless you both , and thank you for your replies!

Thank you Joe, for re-threading my 'needle in a haystack' conundrum... my first-ever 'puter-jargon-forum-post, and I know many folks have issues of a likeness, and I was timid in claiming my point of attention.

Do you get an error message?

Can you start IE if you go to Strart | Run and type in "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" (without the quotation marks)?

Can you uninstall and reinstall IE8?

Oh dear, being a home user without a "beside me-guide me" tutor computers can be somewhat intimidating, yet I love a technical challenge and I am not too afraid to trust and try things… but! Hahaha.

I have just read through a good deal more threads here about IE8, XP SP3, windows updates and issues many of which have had whispers of appearance at times in my system too, even though they come and go as updates affect performance or functions.

And I really am a novice in the technical knowhow or why's about so much of this technology I play at, for as much as it has changed my world and life, it is still simply a toy I enjoy and play with… ooh goodness me.

But, I love Windows Secrets, and I love the many tech-savvy wizards sharing skills.

So to your questions Joe,

Error message - Windows Internet Explorer: iexplorer.exe - Application Error
    The instruction as "0xc4e9b825" referenced memory at "0xc4e9b825". The memory could not be written.
    Click OK to terminate the program
    Click on cancel to debug the program

When I attempted to Start/Run IE I got…

C: /Program Windows cannot find 'C:/Program'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.
    which I both typed, then selected through Browse, and neither instance worked.

So it surely seems there is something amiss, yet in my C:/Program Files folder, all files APPEAR to be there, if that means anything.

Many thanks for you assistance with this Joe.

Jefferson, thanks for the tip and lead on more info about Processes… seems there are mountains to climb when learning about computers!

Bless you both again with hearty thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHeart View Post
    Error message - Windows Internet Explorer: iexplorer.exe - Application Error
    The instruction as "0xc4e9b825" referenced memory at "0xc4e9b825". The memory could not be written.
    Click OK to terminate the program
    Click on cancel to debug the program

When I attempted to Start/Run IE I got…

C: /Program Windows cannot find 'C:/Program'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.
    which I both typed, then selected through Browse, and neither instance worked.
    You stated that was the original error message. Do you still get that when you try to start IE?

Note: When you type in a path use "\" NOT "/".

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    You stated that was the original error message. Do you still get that when you try to start IE?

Note: When you type in a path use "\" NOT "/".

Joe
    G'day Joe,

Oops, right you were - of course - I did have my / back to front... and when I Run "C:\" IE did open correctly, and seemed to perform appropriately, however it still will not open with the Start IE button or the Quicklaunch button??? When I attempt those options I still get the same referenced memory could not be written error message.

Plus I ran another full virus scan this morning and found the same 2 Items as I have deleted over the last couple of days...

Is there some sequential Troubleshooting process I can use to determine my issue, or do I need to Uninstall/Reinstall IE, or, or, or???

I appreciate your assistance, very much.

Many thanks,
    Nardine

Administrator
    Thanks
    Since it is not too difficult I'd uninstall IE8 and reinstall it.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    your shortcuts may be missing quotes around the program path. If a path has spaces in it, such as "program files", then you need to put the whole path in quotes, otherwise you see that something is trying to open c:\Program instead of "c:\Program Files\...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings Joe and Lee,

Thank you, to both of you for your advice. I ended up ringing Microsoft help line, who told me my OS was no longer tech supported - for free - and the gentleman I spoke with did not sound confident that uninstalling and reinstalling IE8 would rememdy the issue. He advised that I could get phone support from MS for A$80, or they could refer me to our Regional Support service provider, Gizmo.

I chose that option, and for A$99 they "remote assisted" me with the issue. It turned out my system had become infected with 12 malware and virus files, they ran CCleaner, Malware removal and Trojan cleaner programs. All done remotely in less than one hour.

I cannot say enough about how impressed I was with their service, and that they have a "no fix-no charge" policy, as well as a five-day warranty on the work.

My system is now cleaner and more stable than it has been for a long time, and I am a very happy lady.

Blessings and thanks for the assistance.
    HappyHeart

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you got it worked out. Sometimes with a malware infection you just have to have a local technician look at it. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You might also go to c:\windows\prefetch folder and look for the 2 items that keep showing up in your scan and delete them from this folder. Also check your startup items in MSCONFIG and make sure these items aren't in your startup.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    for future help you might want to change antivirus i would advice you install panda cloud, mcaffee is not to relaible AV for me. you might also want to install threatfire alongside with panda, also ccleaner is a good help in cleaning junk files. lastly spybot is a good choice when you need protection in the net from malwares.

Thanks
    As long as the problem turned out to be malware and a suggestions was made to change AV/AM I will throw one in as well. Try the Free Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Very small footprint, runs unobtrusively in back ground and just works. Includes both AV and AM in one app. I have to agree with bong about McAfee. The university my wife works in IT at recently switched from McAfee to Sophos for the entire university system because of problems with McAfee.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy