New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just had my local computer shop install Win 7 Home Edition (had Vista Home Prem) along with 2 new optic drives etc. Vista came after XP on my HD & they originally set up an old C & old D for the XP programs & files. My question is...now that Win 7 is running, how do I get back into the older & some defunct programs/applications that I no longer need & uninstall/ blow them up & free up some HD space. I did find the" windows.old" file & will try to move some programs from the vista days over to Win 7 that I need (thanks to reading a thread on that). Any help would be great & I'm not very tech savey & need very specific directions.
    thanks

Thanks
    You will most likely have to install all the apps you still want to use. Be advised though that not all apps are compatible with Win 7. Check at the Windows Compatibility Center for your particular apps to see if they are compatible. The windows.old folder can be used to retrieve the data you had previously. Once you install an app, you will have to find where it's data is stored. You can then go into windows.old and grab this data file and move it into Win 7. This is especially useful for music, pics, favorites, etc. Your data that you loaded onto your old OS is still there in windows.old and can be dragged and dropped into your new OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Download and install VistaBoot Pro (just Google for it) it is very easy to use.

When you start VistaBoot Pro it will find your othwer OSs (if they are still extant) and give you the opportunity to create a new bootloader f
    This will then give you the option to boot into XP, Vista or W7 at startup and you can then use the Windows Install/Remove applet to uninstall the unwanted software.

If you want to get rid of earlier OSs then hust use VistaBoot Pro to write another bootloader excluding the OSs you want to delete. After this you only need to format the relevant partition and its gone.

Thanks
    By the way, Judy, welcome to the Lounge. Please forgive my manners for not doing this in my first post.

Actually it does sound as though a custom (clean) install was done on Judy's PC. If that is the case the original OS will most likely not be available to boot into. The presence of a windows.old folder usually indicates this method of installation for Win 7. There is a method using the windows.old folder to re-install the old OS, but I have no idea what it is. If this is done then she would loose the Win 7 installation. I believe Judy's question was asking what she has to do to re-install her apps in Win 7 to allow her to use the apps from the old OS and the data from same. If this indeed is the question then the old apps would have to be reinstalled. This will also allow Judy to check to see if any newer versions of the old apps are available by checking on the app manufacturer's site for this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hi Judy, and welcome to the Lounge!

I am assuming your computer shop did a custom install of Windows 7 over your previous Vista installation, and that the Windows.old is your old Vista installation, and you are not dual booting two different Windows operating systems. If this is not accurate, please set me straight on this.

How many physical hard drives are installed in your PC? First, go to Windows Explorer to view files on your C: drive to confirm it as your Windows 7 drive. Next, click the Start menu and select Computer (on the right hand Start menu panel). I recommend you rename your Windows 7 drive, which should be C:, to something easily identifiable. Right click on drive C: and select Rename. Then type in a name for your Windows 7 drive, such as 'Win7', for example. Press Enter . Now you have a name on your Windows 7 partition to distinguish it from others, which should make things less confusing.

If you just want to eliminate the remnants of XP so as to free up hard drive space, then go to Windows Explorer and check if the drive containing your old XP files and programs can be viewed. If so, you can just right click on the drive letter and select format and format the drive in NTFS. Be very sure you do not reformat your Win7 drive! If you cannot find any drive letter containing your XP files, then go to the next step.

Next click the Start menu and type diskmgmt.msc in the search box. Press Enter to start the Disk Management console. This console will show you all the physical disks in your computer, labeled as Disk 0, Disk 1, etc., and whether they are fixed hard disks or removeable drives. You should see the drive you renamed "Win7" as a partition on C: which usually is Disk 0. Now that you know which one is your Windows 7 partition, you can safely remove all other partitions. Once you have deleted the other partitions, you can create a new partition using the unallocated space and reformat it as an NTFS volume to use for whatever you want to store, or you can extend your Windows 7 partition to use all the unallocated space (unless the unallocated space is found on a totally separate hard drive, for example Disk 1. If this is the case, then just format it to use for any storage needs you have).

A program called Easeus Partition Master may be easier to use for these chores. You can download their free edition here. But the free edition is only for the 32 bit version of Windows 7. If you have the 64 bit edition of Windows 7, then you could use Partition Wizard Home Edition.

Whatever course you take, be sure to back up your files and make an image backup of Windows 7 before making any changes to your system. Windows 7 includes an image backup program named Windows Backup you could use to get started.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome all.. sorry just got home from work so I am reading the responses- thanks all. Yes, I only have 1 physical HD 500 GB & have only used about 1/2 of it so far according to Belarc advisor. The HD is partitioned into c, old c & old d. Originally old c & d were back ups of the XP programs etc. when Vista HPE was installed & stupid me I didn't ask how to uninstall some of the old XP programs that I know can conflict with Win & I no longer want or need. Seems as if windows.old pulls up some of the Vista apps & programs & a few were able to be dropped onto the Win 7 desktop but not all function. I did make a back up of the Vista using Clickfree some weeks ago even before I thought about changing OS- actually it was the optic drives probs I had that sent me to the shop & well a couple of $$ later- here I am. Some of the old programs I have redone into Win 7 (downloaded & I had all my passwords available) but now I would like to remove the originals in Vista & XP.
    I have no clue how to get into the partitioned areas of the HD so I'll need guidence on that if it is a way to uninstall/permanently delete the unwanted stuff. bye te bye my son in law is British & from Wing, Eng. & after the day I had at school (tomorrow is the last day for this school year I work at a high school)- the beer looks great!
    thanks

Thanks
    Judy, sorry misunderstood your original request, thought you wanted to resurect some old apps. To reformate the old partitions, first rename the Win 7 partition as Gerald mentions above. This will ensure you do NOT reformat that partition. Then to go over what Gerald mentioned, perform the following steps:

Start orb, type Disk Management in the Search box, then select Create and format hard disk partitions. This will open the Disk Manager. You should see the partition you just renamed, DO NOT TOUCH IT JUST YET!!! You should also see the 2 old partitions. You should be able to right click on the 2 old partitions one at a time and choose Delete Volume, and or reformat. This will delete ALL information on the 2 old partitions. You can then right click and format them as NTFS partitions to keep them seperate from the WIN 7 partition you renamed. Or you can extend the Win 7 partition to encompass both these old partitions, again by right clicking the Win 7 partition and select Extend Volume (I believe that is the terminology). Choose the maximum amount and do it. You may have to do this twice to regain both old partitions.

You will have to decide whether you want to use the partitions as seperate partitions or combine them into one partition. Good luck and have fun.

***** Be sure to Image your Win 7 partition before doing any of this in case something goes wrong*****

I hope this helps. Gerald has all these steps listed as well, but I hope I added enough more detail to put your mind at rest.

Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well... just checked following Gerald & Ted's directions ( thanks I could actually follow them ) & Local C drive contents lists old C, old D & windows.old almost like programs or folders. When I typed in Disk Mngt & clicked Create or delete partitions- bingo.. I get only 1 C drive listed as Healthy with almost 200 GB of avail, space. Drats. I will try to include a pic of the local c drive info using prs- think it's a zip file & one has to dbl click the MHT file inside (hey, I'm just following Woody's instructions pg 214 & 215 of Win 7 for Dummies) hope this info can be of help & I actually did it correctly.
    Thanks for your patience.[attachment=89039:local c drive.zip]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    In this senario it appears the LocalC and Local D are just folders. You should be able to delete them as any other folder may be deleted. Since disk manager is only showing the one disk, that is good, you do not have to reformat anything unless you want to partition you HD to create a seperate data partition. Some folks do advocate this, some don't. I have chosen not to do this and I believe Gerald does. Doing a Google search for partitioning will give a wealth of info on why and how to do this. It's entirely a personal preference. Have fun. Delete the 2 folders and happy computing.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry I'm so late getting back to you on my progress, after a slow start, actually found the same folders on hubby's log in page I deleted the folders on each account & on mine, did a restart & YES... they have gone to that great dumpster. Thank you so much for the help. I can say Win 7 seems to load faster than Vista ever did. Thanks again- GO USA SOCCER

Thanks
    Judy,

Fantastic news. Glad it worked for you. I'm not really a soccer fan, so Go USA!!!! Go Yankees!!!!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted