New Lounger
    Thanks
    Am I the only one this has happened to?

After manually installing the June critical patches, after the boot the mouse pointer jumps around, selecting things by itself. It sometimes did it frequently enough that I didn't have enough time to click on Start, Turn Off Computer, Turn Off, before it selected something else on the desktop.

A boot to Safe Mode allowed normal keyboard and mouse use. A rollback to the pre-patch restore point did not work.

I ran Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, no problems reported.

I tried a different mouse and keyboard, no joy.

I booted Ubuntu on CD and mouse and keyboard worked fine.

I tried uninstalling the mouse driver, no joy.

After more Safe Mode and Normal boots and a second rollback to the same pre-patch restore point, everything was fine.

I Googled but did not locate the symptoms elsewhere.

It has me stumped and reluctant to do any more updates from MS.

Boring details -

Waited 3 days after patch Tuesday and did Windows Update on PC #1. No problems.

Waited some more and did Windows Update on PC #2 and #3. Same jumpy mouse problem showed up on both #2 and #3 right after patch install.

Things in common:

Windows XP, 32 bit, SP3, #1 and #2 are Home, #3 is Pro

Avira AntiVir Personal - Free, on all three PCs

ATI video cards

NO wireless on any of the PCs. None.

Keyboard- genuine, corded, Microsoft 71305-OEM-2181871-10417

Mouse- genuine, corded, ball-less, Microsoft X800898-129
    Mouse driver- 7/1/2001 5.1.2600.0

Note: After I got PC #3 operational, I compared it to PC #2 and both had the same mouse driver; one PC with problem, the other working fine

PC #2- Pentium 4

PC #3- AMD Athelon 64 3000+

Both PCs had the problem until a second restore to the same, pre-patch restore point. PC #1 has never had the problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Seems like a driver somehow got corrupted. Have you tried the latest driver for the mouse?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your suggestion.

On PC #2 I again removed the mouse driver and let it plug-and-play.

I again did a Update Driver, Windows Update, and the hardware wizard said, Cannot find a better match.

I tried Windows Update again and chose 7 of the patches, including MSRT. After the reboot, the mouse was flaky but I was able to open the Hardware Manager and found a second ball mouse on Com1.

I realized that I still had my Trimble Thunderbolt GPS connected to Com1 and Windows apparently thought it was a second mouse. The data stream from the Thunderbolt was apparently interpreted as mouse clicks and moves.

I disconnected the Thunderbolt from Com1, removed the Com1 mouse device from the hardware, and continued to install the remaining 6 patches. Rebooted and it now appears to operate normally.

This explains the strange input behavior of PC #2, but PC #3 does not have anything attached to Com1. I will experiment with PC #3 when I can take it out of service for a while.

Thanks again for the suggestion which led to a solution.

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You're welcome. If you want the most current drivers for Microsoft hardware go to Software Download.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Joe. On PC #3 the updated mouse driver seems to be working after reinstalling the Windows patches.

I am disappointed that Windows Update did not inform me of the new driver version.

Also, the navigation to the driver on the Microsoft web site seems to be counter-intuitive to me, compared to the rest of the industry. I spent a lot of time trying to navigate and binging for the driver. Thanks for your link.

Mike