New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell Latitude D630 running Windows XP Professional 2003 with SP3.

When I close the lid on my laptop and later re-open, the computer seems to be in either standby or hibernate mode. Nothing I do can revive it, other than holding down the power button to turn it completely off and then restart. After reboot, I get a message about a very serious error and send the report to Microsoft. After sending the report, MS opens a page that tells me about "stop errors" and suggests I have bad/outdated device driver(s). I have run MS updates and no device drivers seem to need updating.

This happens even when I have the power settings set to "do nothing" when laptop lid is closed.

Any ideas what might be going on?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Thanks
    Hi Mark, and welcome to the Lounge!

Have you recently changed any of your power option settings? Were any other changes made to your Dell before this problem came up?

If you see the stop error again, write it down and post it back here.

You might have a corrupt driver. Go to Dell's support site to check for any newer video chip drivers they have made available. I would not rely on MS updates to take care of this. Your might as well check for updated sound drivers, wireless card drivers, etc. while you are at it.

When a laptop has difficulty coming out of sleep or hibernate mode, the culprit is often a video card driver, but it can be others as well. The video driver has to kick in quickly upon wake up, and if the driver is not in perfect order, it will only generate an error. I have had this happen recently with sleep mode after upgrading to Windows 7. My video driver was having issues with the new OS.

You might check the Event Viewer, specifically the Windows Logs - Applications and System Logs - for errors at the time of failed wake up. Note any red critical errors and the associated Event ID. This will many times report the specific driver involved in the stop error you experienced.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I saw this problem before and it was caused by a bad modem driver. If you analyze your bluescreen logs you may find the culprit but my first guess would be the modem. SOmething about the driver not closing properly when the screen closes and the laptop goes to sleep makes it error.

Few solutions,

Disable sleeping when closing the lid (unless this is desired)
    Update modem driver or disable it completely if updating doesnt help
    Dont ever close the lid while its on

On 1 and 3...sleep/hibernation is one of those things in windwos xp that has never really worked from the get go (like cd burning) and i rarely rely upon it. Best method is to disable sleep al together and shut the laptop down when its going to be off for a long period of time. I cant cound the amount of times someone has closed their laptop, it goes to sleep and doesnt wake up properly...or they close the lid DURING a shutdown..yikes.

*EDIT* About the updated drivers...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS go to your manufacturer FIRST for your drivers. Dell laptop? go to dell.com...acer? acer.com. in windows vista and 7, driver updates have been better but they arent perfect but in windows xp they are nightmare and quite often cause more damage then they fix. Its practically COMMON for windows xp to completely wreck audio drivers through windows updates.
    Richard Chase
    Technical Support
    E-mail me
    Gadget's Computers

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for your comments. Using the driver install order provided by Dell, I installed new versions of my video adapter, Dell Quickset (controls power management) and Modem drivers. I will see if these help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Hello,

Maybe this is an old thread, maybe YOU resolved the problem and didn't bother to post here again.
    But as i came across this thread when googling my problem, here is what worked for me.

My DELL Latitude E6320 was going into standby when closing the lid, even though i changed the power settings to "do nothing" on this action.
    But i had done this for my normal user identification only, not the system administrator user.

So i also changed this setting for the system administrator user on this computer, and since, the problem doesn't occur any more.

I hope it will work for some others.