New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell laptop that has at various times run Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit. A couple of months ago, under Windows 7 32-bit, the 'sleep' option disappeared from my system. Start -> Shut Down -> Sleep became greyed out. In power options, there was no longer a 'sleep' option in the lists of actions for the power button, lid, etc.

At my IT department's suggestion, I reformatted the drive and installed Windows 7 64-bit (Enterprise edition). I added device drivers in the order called out in the Dell Reimage 'How-To' Guide, using the latest versions from the Dell Support website. I have the most recent BIOS for this system. Windows Updates are up to date.

With all of this, sleep is still not available.

I tried contacting Dell support. They were unable to provide a solution or much of a process for getting a solution (the tech asked me to contact him if I came up with a solution!).

Sleep worked at one time, but does not currently work. Knowing that the system is capable of sleep, I'm guessing that there is a device driver that is preventing sleep, but I don't know how to go about determining which one is causing the problem.

I've started looking for newer drivers than Dell supplies by going to the device manufacturers web sites. Updating the Intel LAN driver didn't help.

I'm looking for suggestions for strategies for finding the reason that my system won't sleep and fixing it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Hidden Windows 7 Tool Troubleshoots Sleep Mode Problems

powercfg -ENERGY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the PowerCfg idea. It comes back with 88 errors(!), linked to \FileSystem\rdbss. A quick search shows that this has to do with files open on the network. For this problem, PowerCfg /requests is more useful, it gives specific information about each file open.

Thanks
    Also, check out the latest Windows Secrets column under Fred Langa: "Is 'Sleep' the same as 'Suspend' or 'Standby'?"
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    More results:

Errors
    USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
    The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2939
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 26, function 2
    Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_2939
    Port Path

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
    The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Composite Device
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2939
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 26, function 2
    Device ID USB\VID_0A5C&PID_5801
    Port Path 1

The devices seem to be Intel chipset devices - perhaps there's a missing driver for the chipset? Still digging...