2 Star Lounger
    near Boulder, Colorado, USA
    I was using the World Archives Project (WAP) Keying Tool at for several months (up to about March 2009) without problems on my Vista Home Premium SP1 computer (Quad Core 2 processors, 4 GB RAM, 300+GB free space on HD).

Then the WAP "updated/improved" the keying tool software, and for the past year I have been unable to make any of the half-dozen further "improvements" run on this machine. I have been in contact the entire time with the WAP tech people, who can only say "The next version will fix your problem" but it never does.

The program installs/loads OK, apparently (i.e., giving no error message) until it gets to the "Checking for updates" stage, whereupon it crashes with the following error message:
    <<begin error msg>>
    System.Reflectlon.TargetInvocation Exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    ---> System.ArgumentException: Font Trebuchet MS' does not support style 'Regular'.
    at System.Drawing.Font.CreateNativeFont()
    at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(FontFamily family. Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)
    at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(String familyName, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)
    at System. Drawing.Font..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._SerializationInvoke(Ob ject target, SignatureStruct& declaringTypeSig, Serializationlnfo info, StreamingContext context)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Seria!iza tionInvoke(Object target, Serializationlnfo info, StreamingContext context)
    at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.Complet dSerializableObject(Qbject obj, Serializationlnfo info, StreamingContext context)
    at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.FixupSp ecialObject(ObjectHolder holder)
    at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixup s()
    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.Obj ectReader.Deserialize(HeaderH andler handler, _BinaryParser serParser. Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.Bin aryFormatter.De$erialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler. Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
    at System.Resources.ResourceReader.DeserializeObject( Int32 typelndex)
    at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObjectV2(lnt32 pos, ResourceTypeCode& typeCode)
    at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObject(Int32 pos)
    at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ResourceEnumerator .get_Entry()
    at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ResourceEnumerator .get_Current()
    at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.Fil lResources(Culturelnfo culture, ResourceSet& resourceSet)
    at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.Fil lResources(CultureInfo culture, ResourceSet& resourceSet)
    at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.App lyResources(Object value. String objectName, Culturelnfo culture)
    at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.App lyResources(Object value, String objectName)
    at KeyingToolUtilities.GettingStartedTooltip.(Object, Object, Object)
    at KeyingToolUtilities,GettingStartedTooltip..ctor()
    at KeyingTool.MainForm.()
    at KeyingTool.MainForm..ctor()
    at ..(String[])
    <<end of error msg>>

This message appears regardless of whether I have firewall and AV enabled or not, whether I have Firefox3.5.9 or IE8 as the default browser, and even if I SAFE BOOT before installing or running the Keying Tool. I even deleted the Trebuchet font at one point, but it re-appeared.

I would welcome any suggestions about what to try next -- I do want to participate in the WAP effort.

2 Star Lounger
    Midwest, USA
    Have you tried creating a new Vista profile? I have found that sometimes things just quit working in Vista, like videos from news sites that always played before. I created a new profile, loaded the sites and everything worked again. Also I make regular use of compatibility mode. Many programs that don't work properly in Vista will work just fine if you run them in compatibility mode for Windows XP.