Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win ME back up to CD

After a crash, I went out and bought a 100 pack of CD-R, determined to back up my whole hard drive.
    (The system restore got me back--thanks Dell). I figured I would use my CD-RW drive to do something other than write music. Problem is = using the Roxio CD Creator 5, the back up seems to halt on the 2nd disk, saying that there are open programs. Used ctrl+alt+del and there is about 15 programs running. Most of which I do not know. I decided to leave alone. Tried using the Philips program (came with the drive). It does not have a complete back up like CD Creator. I then went to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools to look for "Back Up". It is not to be found. I figured if I used the Win ME back up it might keep going with the back up.
    Anyone know where it went ? (Back-up) Any better ideas for backing up ?
    Thanks, Tim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win ME back up to CD

don't know if it will help or not but i did a seach on my hard drive for msbackup.exe
    it was in the crogram filesaccessoriesbackup
    folder i tried to run it but got an error that some dll was missing
    sorry i know this is not much but maybe it will work for you

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Bill Gates hid the backup utility on the Windows ME CD-ROM. On my copy of the CD-ROM it's in the folder d:add-onsMSBackup. Here's a clip from the file backup.txt in this folder:

INSTALLION AND SETUP OF MICROSOFT BACKUP
    ========================================

In previous editions of Microsoft Windows, Backup was
    available as an optional component located in System
    Tools. Microsoft Backup is now available as an iexpress
    package (named msbexp.exe, installed from the Add-on
    folder on the Windows Millennium CD-ROM. Backup requires
    at least 5.1 megabytes of free disk space on the hard
    drive for installation.

To install Microsoft Backup on your system, browse to
    the Add-onsMsbackup folder in the Windows Millennium Edition
    CD-ROM. Locate the Backup Iexpress installation package
    (msbexp.exe). Double click on msbexp.exe. The package
    will open and provide instructions for completing
    the installation.
    UNQUOTE.

Good luck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I went back to the CD and found the program.
    I will give it a try. Wish me luck in backing up a whole hard drive without crashing.
    CD Creator doesnt work.
    Tim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, here we go again. The MS back up program is now loaded but it doesn't know anything about the CD-RW drive. I went thru the normal stuff, find new hardware, etc. but it found nothing. Device mngr knows about the drive but Backup does not. The Philips program knows about the drive. The CD Creator knows about the drive.
    Any ideas ?
    Tim

Thanks

You could read this:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q303/1/06.ASP?>Q303106</A> "This Media Is Write Protected" Error Message When You Use Microsoft Backup with CD-RW
    but to save you bothering, I quote from the article:
    "CAUSE
    This behavior occurs because Microsoft Backup does not support CD-RW."

Another article you could read is
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q264/5/41.ASP?>Q264541</A> Microsoft Backup Tool Is Not Installed by Windows Millennium Edition
    again I quote:
    "IMPORTANT: Unlike programs such as ScanDisk, Disk Defragmenter, Paint, and so on, the Microsoft Backup tool is not a core component of Windows Millennium Edition (Me). The Microsoft Backup tool has been included with the retail, released version of Windows Me to help maintain the functionality of Microsoft Backup after an upgrade to Windows Me. It is important to note that the Microsoft Backup tool cannot provide extensive backup functionality. Because of this, if you need to backup data, Microsoft recommends you obtain and install a third-party backup program."

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Oh well. MS strikes again. I had my hopes....
    Has anyone out there successfully used any back up program (for full hd back up) ?
    Have we finally arrived at the point that the only way to keep a back up is to put in a second drive and mirror it ?

Thanks

I'm afraid I've never used any backup software that wasn't running on NT, and the one I use (which can backup an entire drive) won't run on ME.

It may be worth persuing the Roxio angle. Have you checked their <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ask.roxio.com/cgi-bin/roxio_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=FdAV52Zf&p_lva=&p_sp=&p_li=>webs ite</A>?
    The link above should take you to the knowledgebase, search as below and look for an article called "General troubleshooting steps for Windows ME and Easy Creator Suite"

Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (3.3 KB, 0 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help. I am running Win2k at the office. Maybe it is time to switch to this OS at home.
    I will check further on Roxio page. Last visit I did not find too much help.
    I will keep plugging away. I read some interesting articles on backing up to another hard drive.
    Also found some info on Iomega Quick Sync. I will research that further.
    Tim

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PowerQuest Drive Image or Norton Ghost will do the job nicely and both support CD-RW.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Sparky. The office just got a copy of Norton Ghost 2002. We have yet to try it. Maybe next week I can see how it works. Thanks for the tip.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I would be interested to know if you got Ghost to create an image in a CD-RW. I have not been able to accomplish this. Ghost will recognize my CD-RW, suggest I need two dsks then come back with error writing to disk. Yes I am using as instructed an unformatted CD-RW disk. I have been able to create a ghost image of one partition and saved to another partition, but that does on litle good if the whole drive goes. I have aslo gotten an image saved from one hardisk to another. Acutally I think the safest is a backup to another hardisk. I have one system that is dual disk in removable trays. The other later system is a Dell 4100 (which was a majpr mistake) which does not permit trays as there are only two 5 1/2 bays and the first hardisk is located (get this) in a cage at the bottom of the box. I will never buy anything other than a generic screwdriver system again. I may end up installing another non-removable hd in the Dell.

I bought a copy of Easy CD Creator Platinum yesteday specifically to get the Take.Two softwarr. But I'm not going to open it now based on your experience. I don't need to spend $99.00 for something that won't do what it adversises.

Let me know if you solved your problem. My next experiment is using PKZip or one of the other zip programs to make a series of 500 meg spanned zip backups for copying to CD's or one full backup file that can be split into appropiate segments for copying.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I have not yet tried the Ghost to back up the HD. I glad you posted your response. It may save me a lot of time. I have tried the "BackUp" program (bun9x_v2227_trial_NTI.exe) and that also does NOT work. I gave the Roxio programs another try and still no luck. I have downloaded a trial version of Iomega Quick Sync to try. Someone out there must have a better way. For the time being, I am dragging & dropping on to a CD-R just for some back up capability.
    If I get anything that works, I will post it. If you or anyone else does, hopefully they will also post it.
    Tim

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your problem has certainly found an echo in the public. Please keep this alive with your experiences. I am having exactly the same problems.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Easy CD Creator 5 Platium mentions "Back up your computer to CD in three easy steps." Has anyone used this program? A minimum version come bundled with Dell. It does not include the backup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast