New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently replaced a faulty MB (Gygabyte Pentium 4 Titan Series GA-8IK110, 478 socket, Intel 875P Chipset) with another of the same model BUT "rev 1.0". A few sockets are in a different place but it looks very much like the old one.

On reinstaling Windows XP it began loading files from the CD, all OK... then it restarted. After all the memory tests and IDE listings the screen went black with the Windows logo on it and those dots running left to right... All looked right until it stalled. The logo was there but the dots stopped runnig. The HD led remained on.

After some other -negative- attempts (I even changed HDs) I changed the approach and tried installing Ubuntu 10. It all went perfectly, and the same with Windows 7. Both installed and run smoothly.
    Unfortunately I must go back to XP on that computer so upgrading to Win7 is no solution. Could there be some jumper or something in the new MB that I shoud change? I never touched any hardware configuration on the old MB.

Thanks

Thanks
    Hi Joxemi, and welcome to the Lounge!

Have you done any research as to what 'rev 1.0" changed on the motherboard?

You were consistently getting spontaneous rebooting every time you attempted to install XP? Yet you were able to install both Ubuntu and Windows 7 without any difficulty. Have you considered the possibility your XP installation CD is damaged?

You indicated your original motherboard was faulty? Just curious, what symptoms did you see when your old board was operating?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome, Gerald. Nice to be here

Here goes the story: The trouble started with the old MB when the computer suddenly stopped. The screen froze, discs where spinnig but nothing happened: there was no reaction to the mouse, keyboard, plugging a pendrive nor even to the start/stop button. I left it "think" for a while but finally had to resort to the hard way: unplug.
    I plugged it again and with all the fans and disks running well (thus, nothing to do with power supply) I took it to a local dealer. They tested electricals, VGA card, memory cards, even changed processor but same result.
    Their diagnosis was a faulty MB. Unfortunately they had no spares for this "old" computer so I purchased the new MB on ebay. Risky, I know, but that was the only affordable solution; I didn't want to change the whole thing. At the begining I thought I had been sent a bad MB but then I could run Win 7 and Ubuntu...

I couldn't find any references to changes on upgrading to rev 1.0 but did see references to faulty BIOS and new versions. On the Gigabyte site there ar plenty of drivers fot that MB but I'm a bit puzzled, because never heard of a MB needing a driver! (that would need the computer run to install!). I never did such a change so I prefer to be cautious before updating the BIOS.
    I wrote a ticket to Gigabyte and I'm waiting for the reply.

The CD looks fine. Installing XP starts with typical partitioning and formating, then basic files and drivers loading... After a while it restarts the computer (I think this is normal) and there comes the problem: test are Ok but when loading XP it stops. The CD led is off while the HD stays on.

I get no spontaneous rebooting. It happens only once when installing.

Thanks fot your help. Hope I didn't make myself too long.

Thanks
    Hi Joxemi,

Try this. Go into your BIOS (usually F2 or Delete key on most systems) and look for the hard drive settings. Maybe some of the revision in this motherboard is the addition of AHCI for the hard drive. If you find it set on AHCI, change it to ATA, IDE, or EIDE (whichever is the alternative). XP does not like AHCI. I have been halted in installing XP due to this before. Windows 7 and Ubuntu in recent times works well with AHCI.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I couldn't see those options for the HD in the BIOS; it only lists the 4 IDEs (IDE1 master & slave, IDE2 master & slave). The main HD its detected as IDE1-master then it should be OK.

What I don't understand is the "SCSI/RAID Cntrl Boot Order" option. It's set to "1.Intel ATA Controller".
    Then (after that option) come the known "First / Second / Third Boot Devices" (set to Floppy / CD / HD). Might it be looking for a SCSI / RAID drive to boot from before trying the other group of drives? But it starts reading from the IDE1 drive ( I guess that's why the initial Win logo shows up).

I forgot to say that I tried with 2 different HDs but with the same result.