Thread: Blackberry PIM

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a computer PIM to use with a Blackberry smartphone? I recently dumped my Palm Treo 680 where I've used the Palm Desktop satisfactorily for many years to synch my Treo.

I only got this Blackberry a few days ago and the only thing on my computer that it's willing to synch with is my internet Yahoo account. Temporarily I'm doing that but would much rather have a PC installed PIM.

Anyone have any ideas? When I Google on the subject I get hits from someplace called "CrackBerry" and that doesn't make me feel too secure! Thanks...

Thanks
    I've not had any experience with a Blackberry, but have you looked at MS Outlook as a possibility to sync to the unit?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    I've not had any experience with a Blackberry, but have you looked at MS Outlook as a possibility to sync to the unit?
    My version of Office is over ten years old and I'm not up for buying a new version since I'm satisfied with Open Office. But thanks for the idea.

Thanks
    I with you there Al. It would be great if MS included Outlook in the Home & Student Edition!

You might be able to find a great deal on Outlook 2007 stand alone somewhere.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Al, Blackberry has S/W to do this I believe. I have a fairly new Blackberry curve and downloaded all the S/W I need directly from Blackberry. Hopefully this will help you find what you are looking for. This site shows how to use The Blackberry Desktop App to do about everything you may want. The Desptop App is available through the first link. The second link is somewhat dated, but should still be appropriate. The desktop S/W works wonders on mine and my wife's Blackberry phones and our 2 laptops.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Al, Blackberry has S/W to do this I believe. I have a fairly new Blackberry curve and downloaded all the S/W I need directly from Blackberry. Hopefully this will help you find what you are looking for. This site shows how to use The Blackberry Desktop App to do about everything you may want. The Desptop App is available through the first link. The second link is somewhat dated, but should still be appropriate. The desktop S/W works wonders on mine and my wife's Blackberry phones and our 2 laptops.
    I have the very latest Blackberry Desktop and all the other files that it said I needed to update on the handheld.

Can you tell me how to add a new contact or calendar entry ON THE COMPUTER, not the handheld, please? And then, of course, synch the handheld and desktop...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    I have the very latest Blackberry Desktop and all the other files that it said I needed to update on the handheld.

Can you tell me how to add a new contact or calendar entry ON THE COMPUTER, not the handheld, please? And then, of course, synch the handheld and desktop...
    When I get home from work I'll take a look. I have not done that much I mine, I entered them on the phone itself.

Look in the Blackberry Desktop Manager under Synchronization (The help file may help to set it up) Sorry I can not provide more. I do not use this function much.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    When I get home from work I'll take a look. I have not done that much I mine, I entered them on the phone itself.
    And on the phone is what I DON'T want to have to do! I'm terrible with using my thumbs to type! That's why, as with the Palm Treo, I'd like to have a desktop PIM in which I can make 99% of my calendar, contact and memo entries and THEN use the BB software to synch 'em to the handheld once a day or whenever.

Thanks
    Sorry I couldn't point you directly to what you need. A Google search shows some links, but as Gerald states it appears Outlook is a good choice. There are some others listed, but since I do not use any of them I cannot vouch for any.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks like I'm coming up empty for a desktop PIM for my Blackberry. I found this at the Blackberry forums:

• BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.5 to 5.0.1 supports the following organizer applications:

• * ASCII
        • * Novell® GroupWise® 6.5 and 7.0
        • * IBM® Lotus Notes® 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 8.0
        • * Microsoft® Outlook® XP/2002, 2003, 2007
        • * Microsoft® Outlook® Express 6
        • * Windows® Vista™ Contacts
        • * Yahoo!® (Mail Plus)

Presently I'm "getting by" with my online Yahoo account and managed to get my contacts synch'd between the handheld and Yahoo on the web. Yahoo is yielding an error on importing my Palm calendar which it claims to be able to do, so I have a support request active at Yahoo.Com. I'm not too hopeful, so I'm building and synch'ing my calendar, one week at a time! Yuck!

I might continue looking for a third-party app, but none is mentioned on the BB forums that I can find. The web site called "Crackberry.Com" somehow makes me nervous but I may have to give them another look.