New Lounger
    Thanks
    I posted this on the Winamp forum on April 26, 2010, after requesting help from Support. Haven't received so much as a remark on the forum and not so much as an acknowledgment from Support. Oh well. No point to being upset. Maybe I didn't ask the right thing or provide the right info. Thought I'd try here to get an answer.

INFO: The latest drivers for everything are installed.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHOUTcast TV streaming in Winamp Pro 5.572 and Win7 not working right

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my old system using the free version of Winamp, everything worked fine. That system used Windows 2000 on an ASUS P4S800 mobo, an Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz processor, 1 GB RAM and a Nvidia GeForce2 MX400. Now I have Windows 7(x86) running on an ASUS P5KPL-AM EPU mobo, an Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 2.93Ghz processor, 4 GBs RAM and a Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS. Hardware is not a problem for anything as far as I can tell.

I upgraded to the paid version of Winamp 5.572 when I went to Win7. Now, when playing SHOUTcast TV, it doesn't stream properly for some reason. The video streaming seems to use all of the resources allocated for Winamp. I say that because on the old system, I could move around Winamp and do stuff (like editing playlists) while streaming from SHOUTcast TV. Now I can't do much of anything. I can't even get an immediate response to clicking on the 'Stop' button. There is no problem with SHOUTcast Radio streaming, playing videos from disk or playing music from disk. Just the SHOUTcast TV streaming is a problem.

Windows 7 was a fresh install on a new hard drive and Winamp was the first app that I installed. This problem has been there from the beginning. Of course, more apps have since been installed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to resolve this, or know where I can ask? I reported this problem to Winamp via Help/Send Feedback and received an automated repsonse. Don't expect to hear from them with an answer, so I'm asking here.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Hi Carl, bet you had given up in getting a reply. If you have not overcame your problem please reply.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Winamp Pro 5.581 now and Winamp still isn't working right. Ordinarily, I'd think that maybe the problem is with the video driver, but the driver that I'm using with the new video card is the latest. I'm at a loss as to where to turn for an answer.

Thanks for the reply, Roderunner. After five months and two web sites, you're the first to respond.

Thanks
    Nice to hear from you Carl, I suggest total removal of Winamp, Run Ccleaner + its Registry cleaner using default settings. http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
    Now disable your Antivirus and reinstall Winamp, reboot. When PC restarts disable Firewall (you should only have 1) now try Winamp.
    Don't forget to re-enable FW

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did all of that already...more than once, but I use Macecraft Software's JV16 Powertools instead of Ccleaner. I think those steps only affect whether or not I can receive the stream and play it or not. Winamp runs everything fine. It's just that when a streaming video is playing, I can't do anything else in Winamp without a huge delay. If, while viewing, I try to click 'stop', or change the screen size, or try to change the volume, or try to work on playlists, etc., there's no response for between 5 and 10 seconds for each click or keystroke. Meanwhile, the video is streaming along just dandily. If I click 'stop', then everything works normally after the delay. Streaming radio stations, playing CDs and playing MP3s/FLACs/APEs work like a champ; no problem at all. BTW, I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials for virus and spyware, and the Windows Firewall.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Robinson View Post
    Ordinarily, I'd think that maybe the problem is with the video driver, but the driver that I'm using with the new video card is the latest.
    The latest video driver come on the cd that came with your new card or did you go the vendors web site & down load the the latest?
    You are running Win7 64bit I take it because of the 4 gig's of ram.Nvidia web site latest driver;Nvidia Driver The date is 07/19/2010 for the latest driver.Use your favorite uninstall program first to uninstall the old driver.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Both. I used the video card CD when I first installed it, then looked for a newer one on Nvidia's web page. Just checked again. It's weird. According to Device Manager, the driver version that I have installed is 258.96, but the date is 7/9/2010. Here's what Nvidia has on their web site now.

Version: 258.96 WHQL
    Release Date: 2010.07.19
    Operating System: Windows 7, Windows Vista
    Language: English (U.S.)
    File Size: 94.3 MB

How can the dates be ten days apart for the same version? A human error must have been made when it was originally released. Or, so I guess. Anyhow, I seem to be running the latest.

Running Win7 32-bit. Only 3.5 GB of the 4 GB is usable. If I had gone the 64-bit way, you can be sure I'd be broke because of all the RAM I'd have paid for. 2^64 = 18 exabytes. That's a bunch. Only went with 32-bit because some important apps didn't have 64-bit versions (and still don't).

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Winamp stopped working altogether a few days ago. However, I tried something last night that worked. Everything is back to normal.

Rather than delete winamp.ini, I renamed it to save_winamp.ini in case I needed it. Then, I ran Winamp. It created a new winamp.ini on the fly and everything is working like a champ. Playlists and registration info stayed put, and the abilities that I thought that I'd lost are back.

I'm saving the phrase 'I'm happy' for the day that I win the lotto, but I'm happier than I was before. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions that I got here. Hope my solution works for others should it be needed.

Thanks
    Carl, there are newer versions of Winamp http://www.filehippo.com/download_winamp/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I know. I'm using 5.581 now. When I started this thread, 5.572 was the current version. I've been updating all along. The version had nothing to do with my problem. Don't know what did, but it's fixed now per my previous post.