5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a way in Windows Vista to select all of the photos in a folder and compress them all at once? I have been doing this one by one in Photoshop and it is a very slow process when I have many photos.

If not, is there a way to compress photos one by one in Vista?

Thanks
    Photoshop should be able to acomplish this in batch.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you don't have the need to customize the compression setting on each file, any of the free image viewer programs can easily take care of uniform compression/conversion, without overwritting the original, of thousands of photos at a time if need be. XnView, Faststone Image Viewer, Irfanview to name the frontrunners.

There is a Powertoy for XP to resize images but I don't think there was ever a compression utility, except for a preset in Paint or something like that. In Windows Live Gallery it appears to also only offer batch resizing and not compression.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Photoshop should be able to acomplish this in batch.
    I am trying to open these images in Photoshop, but they are coming out blank. In Window's Photo Gallery, they come out fine though. When I open them in Photoshop, I get a window asking me about the dimensions I want for the image, the mode (RGB, grey, etc.), and the background (white, background color, transparent), and though I have tried several combinations for each of these elements, the photo always comes out blank.

I just tried to move the photo to a location one folder less removed (e.g., rather than A/B/C/photo.jpg, it is now in A/B/photo.jpg) and I don't get that window asking me about the dimensions, etc. and the picture opens up fine. Is the problem that the address for the location of the folder is too long?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You should be able to do it in batch mode with Irfanview.

Joe
    Joe