Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I run Windows 7 on a 64-bit machine. Microsoft Office 2007 worked well. I installed Office 2010. Now, when I open Word, Powerpoint, or Outlook, I get a small window saying that the application needs to close. If I unplug the cable from my computer to the Internet, Word & PowerPoint work, but Outlook still needs to close. OneNote, Publisher, and Project open without problem.

If I try to edit the "trust center" setting in Excell, I also get a window saying that Excel needs to close (this problem was also present in Office 2007). Otherwise, Excel works.

Somehow (I don't know how) I have two copies of Internet Explorer on my machine, a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version (This was so before installing Office 2010). The 32-bit version will also say that it needs to close if I try to use it. The 64-bit version works. I suspect Internet explorer has something to do with this because after the installation of Office 2010, a new icon appeared in my start menu that started Internet explorer32-bit version. I did not think that I was installing it. I know that Internet explorer is tightly integrated with the operating system and often causes trouble.

I suspected some sort of interaction between my firewall (ZoneAlarm Extreme Security), Webroot SpySweeper, or PGP encryption software, but I closed all of them and I will have the problem.

I am at a loss. Can anyone suggest anything I should look at?

Thank you.

Jim AuBuchon

Thanks
    All 64 Bit versions of Win 7 have both a 32 Bit and 64 Bit IE 8. Most use the 32 Bit version because Adobe Flash does not yet provide a 64 Bit add on for IE 64 Bit.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My thanks to Ted Myers for his helpful comment.

One more interesting comment: If I unplug the Internet cable and start Word, it not only starts normally, but I can then reconnect to the Internet and continue to use Word properly.

Thanks
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I might try an uninstall then reinstall of Office 2010 with the Security apps disabled (AV, Am, firewall, etc.) Be sure to disable the internet prior to disabling the security apps since this will leave you unprotected. After the reinstall, re-enable the security apps before reconnecting to the network. I hope this may solve the Office problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did as Ted Meyers suggested; I uninstalled and reinstalled without the security applications. It didn't change a thing.
    Powerpoint and Word worked before I reconnected the Internet cable, but Powerpoint, Word and Outlook still close immediately if the Internet cable is connected.
    What do Powerpoint, Outlook, and Word have in common? It should be something that relates to their attempts to use the Internet just after starting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AuBuchon View Post
    I did as Ted Meyers suggested; I uninstalled and reinstalled without the security applications. It didn't change a thing.
    Powerpoint and Word worked before I reconnected the Internet cable, but Powerpoint, Word and Outlook still close immediately if the Internet cable is connected.
    What do Powerpoint, Outlook, and Word have in common? It should be something that relates to their attempts to use the Internet just after starting.
    I have to believe this has something to do with the fact that Office 2010 has online apps available to use as well. Since I do not have 2010 loaded. I wonder if there is a setting somewhere in the 2010 apps that disables this internet app from auto connecting. Some one that has 2010 will come up with a solution.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    This has NOTHING to do with the Office Web Apps. In a home setting, you only access those through your browser when you access Skydrive. They are not client side installed applications.

Since there are issues with IE also I recommend uninstalling Office 2010 and then either performing a system restore to a point when you know for sure all was OK or repairing the Windows 7 installation. Before trying anything again with Office, make sure all else works after the repair. Then try running the Office 2010 install as administrator.

Joe
    Joe