New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am working on a computer that had some spyware on it. The spyware has been removed (superantispyware and malwarebyte's found a couple dozen), but I still cannot get a web browser to surf. I have an Internet connection (verified via ping), email will send/receive, but I have tried IE8, Safari and firefox portable with no luck. Simply says no connection. Verified there is not a proxy setup, and my processes look legit. It works fine in safe mode.....?? Any ideas?

Thanks
    What version of Windows. If version Win 7, go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows features on or off, uncheck IE, reboot, then recheck IE, reboot again then try IE once again. This might reset IE files that became corrupt with the spyware. For FF I would attempt to install the browser to check to see if it would work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows version is XP. I reset the IE browser to defaults (under Advanced tab), with no success. I think if it was an IE setting, Safari and FF should work fine. I can boot into safe mode and surf okay, so I checked to see what processes where running while safe versus normal boot. But, they all seem legit. I even stopped all the processes I could (via msconfig) but still nothing. Spyware and Antivirus run clean now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it......Norton 360, although it didn't appear to be running, as soon as I uninstalled it (last ditch effort!) the trouble was cleared. BTW switching to different AV software....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Schmidt View Post
    Got it......Norton 360, although it didn't appear to be running, as soon as I uninstalled it (last ditch effort!) the trouble was cleared. BTW switching to different AV software....
    Boy have we heard that a lot recently. AV apps can cause many unexpected problems. To be fair, the spyware may have corupted Norton, but I think you're making a great choice. There are several free Av apps that shoud fit your needs. I use MSE with great success. Others swear by Avasy free AV.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did switch to MSE, too. I wanted to make sure the person I was doing the work for hadn't just paid for a renewal! Still working great....