Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

System is an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop. Running Windows Media Center Edition 2005. Newly reinstalled OS on an FDISK'd, formatted hard drive. Updated to SP3. The onboard wireless adapter (Atheros AR5005G) is inoperative, so I'd been using an EdiMax USB adapter (7318USg). Worked just fine.

I ran Media Center for the first time, and it went through it's initial setup routine.

After that ran, I started getting the following error message in a pop-up window with the window title: Wireless Configuration. The error message is: "Incorrect MFC Dll versions installed on the system, minimum requirement is MFC SP4 Dlls"

I reinstalled the Atheros drivers (even though I know it's inop - I thought maybe reinstalling the drivers might reinstall what the system was complaining about being missing.) Didn't fix it. Turned off Wireless Zero Configuration service. Didn't fix it. Disabled Atheros adapter. Didn't fix it. Uninstalled EDIMax adapter software. Didn't fix it. Did a search on Microsoft's web site for the requested MFC package. Closest thing I could find that would have been current for Media Center Edition 2005 was the Visual C redistributable that was released in 2005/2006. They have more current versions, but those were for Visual C 2008.

Has anyone run into this problem before? If so, what was the fix?

I'm at a loss. Although this system is newly set up, I really don't want to start from scratch, and have to reinstall Windows and everything else.

Would a run of the "Repair Windows Installation" routine from the Windows setup disk be in order, and would it work given I'd installed SP3 after the initial setup, which was SP2?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    -=> Carroll McAllister <=-

Coming to you "almost live" from Searcy, Arkansas

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroll R. McAllister View Post
    System is an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop. Running Windows Media Center Edition 2005. Newly reinstalled OS on an FDISK'd, formatted hard drive. Updated to SP3. The onboard wireless adapter (Atheros AR5005G) is inoperative, so I'd been using an EdiMax USB adapter (7318USg). Worked just fine.

Has anyone run into this problem before? If so, what was the fix?
    I found the answer at the following link:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/micr...ed-system.html

Of course, my system wasn't a Dell, but the answer was correct, anyway. In the process of setting up this laptop, I had gone through the driver CD, and installed the Broadcom drivers. That's well and good, but I don't have a Broadcom wireless card on this system, that I'm aware of. Have a non-working Atheros wifi card, and am using an Edimax USB wireless adapter. Anyway, I uninstalled the Broadcom app, and that solved the problem.

Life is good again. <G>
    -=> Carroll McAllister <=-

Coming to you "almost live" from Searcy, Arkansas