Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok... techie types! I need some help. This one is driving me crazy trying to figure out the issue.

For starters, in case there is a need to know. I am running: a Generic PC, Athlon DualCore 4800, 4GB RAM, RAID system of 3 500GB drives, dual boot system of XP SP3 and Vista. I mainly use XP, rarely on Vista.

IE 8.0.600. I can not figure out what the heck is happening. My IE8 was running fine for as long as I can remember since downloading it (over a year ago?). I have not had any issues. I have resorted to using Firefox for the most part, including writing this post.

About 3 days ago, I was cruising along just fine. All of sudden, IE just started taking forever to go from one page to another. If I click on a link, it takes it almost 5 minutes to get to it. Opening other tabs or even opening up another IE window takes my system over 5 minutes to get the job done. I don't even want to tell you that if I have my system do 2 or 3 things in IE, my system becomes almost non-usable. If I have a window open and not doing anything on it, and I use another app on my system... it begins to lag (a command to do something other than IE may take it a couple of minutes longer than usual to do or it will take a bit and then it simply slows to a crawl). It affects all other apps. I have to shut down IE (and at times simply restart my system) and go to Firefox and all is ok.

I have not added any other components, or software. I did update my Flash app but that was hours before all IE trouble. Other than that... what to do?

Ben

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried running IE with addons disabled?

Have you used Task Manager to see what might be taking over?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

Yes, I have disabled various add-ons but this didn't help at all. As for using Task Manager to see what is taking over... nothing unusual except that my CPU usage is at 100%. This is unusual but then again I don't know if this is supposed to be happening since I have never checked its usage before.

Any other ideas. Even checking what you said, began to slow my system down to a crawl once again. I had to shut IE down. Man! What a hassle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Villa View Post
    Joe,

Yes, I have disabled various add-ons but this didn't help at all. As for using Task Manager to see what is taking over... nothing unusual except that my CPU usage is at 100%. This is unusual but then again I don't know if this is supposed to be happening since I have never checked its usage before.

Any other ideas. Even checking what you said, began to slow my system down to a crawl once again. I had to shut IE down. Man! What a hassle.
    With the CPU usage at 100%, this is WHY your system is bogged down. Check the "Processes" tab in Task Manager to see if you can spot WHAT is taking up all of your CPU cycles.
    System Idle Process should be near 90% or more under normal conditions.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    With the CPU usage at 100%, this is WHY your system is bogged down. Check the "Processes" tab in Task Manager to see if you can spot WHAT is taking up all of your CPU cycles.
    System Idle Process should be near 90% or more under normal conditions.

Joe, thanks for the help. It has shown me a lot more than expected. However, here is what I am seeing in Task Manager right now. There are only 3 processes taking up all 100% of my CPU: THREE iexplorer.exe. Why 3? And even if I wanted to stop 2 of the 3, how do I know which ones? And... how in the heck did it even happen? The only reason I have stuck it out with IE8 is because there are sites I can't access without it... especially Microsofts update pages. Suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    You have mulitple instances of iexplore.exe to implement a feature called Loosely Coupled IE or LCIE. See IE8 and Loosely-Coupled IE (LCIE) - IEBlog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs and IE8 and Reliability - IEBlog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs for more details.

Terminating one of the IE processes will most likely have the automatic crash recovery kick in and try to re-establish the session you terminated. That in turn will most likely lead back to the 100% CPU utilitzation.

If IE8 is using 100% of your CPU then most likely something is wrong with an addon or the site you are visiting. Is there a specific site or two that cause this to occur?

Joe

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Terminating one of the IE processes will most likely have the automatic crash recovery kick in and try to re-establish the session you terminated. That in turn will most likely lead back to the 100% CPU utilitzation.

If IE8 is using 100% of your CPU then most likely something is wrong with an addon or the site you are visiting. Is there a specific site or two that cause this to occur?

Joe
    Joe, once again... thanks! I found all the info you have provided as better than interesting. I have not ever had to deal with IE and this was a new experience in educating myself thanks to you.

Now, any site I visit in IE8 is slow, no matter what it is. It isn't any one site in particular (I thought the same thing initially but, alas, it is ALL sites!). So I don't think it is an add on. I checked all ad ons and it looks like all of them were "installed" months ago. This is not to say that they are not the culprit but maybe, just maybe it is something else. Still, the links you provided are rather interesting read and it will take me a bit to decipher it all. I wonder if my antivirus app (Norton) is causing this since it updated itself days before all this started?

Just curious... what to do think if I uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it? First, I need to download IE8 from somewhere before doing this. I am tempted to try IE9 but I suspect this will be more of a headache for now since it is in beta form. Any last suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What AV and other protection programs are you using?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Just curious... what to do think if I uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it? First, I need to download IE8 from somewhere before doing this. I am tempted to try IE9 but I suspect this will be more of a headache for now since it is in beta form. Any last suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I think an uninstall and reinstall are worth a try.

Do not bother with IE9. That is not even a beta version yet. It has none of the UI features you'd expect yet. It is just for testing compatability with certain standards.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, once again... thanks! I found all the info you have provided as better than interesting. I have not ever had to deal with IE and this was a new experience in educating myself thanks to you.

Now, any site I visit in IE8 is slow, no matter what it is. It isn't any one site in particular (I thought the same thing initially but, alas, it is ALL sites!). So I don't think it is an add on. I checked all ad ons and it looks like all of them were "installed" months ago. This is not to say that they are not the culprit but maybe, just maybe it is something else. Still, the links you provided are rather interesting read and it will take me a bit to decipher it all. I wonder if my antivirus app (Norton) is causing this since it updated itself days before all this started?

Ben
    Scan your pc using panda cloud my personal fave the free version works just fine., also use ccleaner for cleaning your pc with junk useless files, then run spybot SD. thats all. It's just malwares trying to hide themselves as legit process. thanks and and goodluck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you use Google toolbar, uninstall it, reboot and re-install it, I had a very similar problem (i.e. multiple instances of iexplore using CPU) that was solved by doing this.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ben
    I would uninstall Norton. I had used Norton years ago and found it slowed down my system dramatically. So did McAfee. I use free Avast now.
    Here is the tool to completely remove Norton.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml
    Try it and see if there is any improvement. You can always reinstall Norton.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a couple of desktops that had similar issues. Multiple instances of IE8 running, with CPU hovering around 90-100%, downloading files to the temp internet folder. All of them were infected with multiple viruses, however the cause of the multiple instances of IE8 was a rootkit and a modified mbr. Once taken care of, no issues. 6 desktops total so far the past 2 weeks, all with the same issue.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some of the procedures we use at our computer club for issues like these:

Uninstall and reinstall offending program, device driver, etc.

Try safe mode - does symptom(s) appear here also?

Run CCleaner along with the registry cleaner provided in CCleaner.

Make sure computer is "clean". Do full scans with AV program and MalwareBytes (make sure you update first before doing scan).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm with Livealoha. Had the identical problem/symptoms recently on a friend's PC.
    It was a rootkit. Malwarebytes detected it but did not completely remove it.
    I've had good luck with the free Sophos rootkit remover tool. (sophos.com)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast