2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Windows XP-SP3

I suspect this is a really dumb question – but ...

I am working on a task that is "file centric" so I spend most of my time in Windows Explorer**. However I would like to access information on the web from within that context – I think this could be done by putting relevant internet shortcuts (.url files) into "associated" folders.

The pages that I want to access are on many different web sites (e.g product information from many sources) a typical url might look like "http://companysite.com/products.php?g=1234". I have NO control over these websites,

I found technical information regarding the format of these files - but I don't want to have to code lots of files in a text editor

Basically I just want to convert an internet bookmark/favourite into an internet shortcut file - there must be a simple way to do that. My preferred browser is Firefox.

Thanks

** Actually I'm not using Windows Explorer for this work, I'm using xplorer2 Pro - but that's irrelevant I'm sure any solution that works in WinExplorer will work in xplorer2.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You can create a file shortcut to a website by saving website mhtml files; File>>Save as>>Web Archive/Single file(hmt) IE
    Basically copies the webpage in a single file format that can be stored and accessed by clicking on it.

or

browse over to your browsers' "Favorites" folder and make and pull links out of there.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    With Win 7 you can just go to the web site you want and drag the URL directly from the address bar in the browser into what ever folder in Windows Explorer you want. I just tried this with the Lounge and windows created the link in My Documents to the Lounge which when clicked opened the Lounge. I suspect this is true with XP as well. You can drag the link into any foloder you want in Windows Explorer. Dragging from favorites as Clint mentioned works equally as effectively.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted, Clint -

I knew it was a dumb question - I was looking for a "special" hard to find feature

In firefox you just drag the "favicon" out of the url bar to the file system, or drag a bookmark to the file system - too easy for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Daniels View Post
    Thanks Ted, Clint -

I knew it was a dumb question - I was looking for a "special" hard to find feature

In firefox you just drag the "favicon" out of the url bar to the file system, or drag a bookmark to the file system - too easy for me.
    No problem. I just was not sure if the same would work in XP. Glad it did. And, there are no "Dumb" questions"..... Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You could also create a few URL folders on your Desktop and drag-drop Bookmarks from Firefox into your URL folders.
    Example:

Viewing the contents of "Hardware URL's" folder:

I had a (very wise) Algebra Teacher in high school who used to say, "The only really Dumb question is the one that is NOT asked."
    Happy Computing,

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks

file download to desktop of client machine

Hi all,

Can I download a file to the desktop on client machine. Please suggest. Is it possible or not. Please revert back.
    Last edited by er.pradeep16; 2014-04-29 at 07:42.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not an answer to the question posted, but for reference in Windows 8, to copy a URL file to a folder and have it be one that can be double-clicked to open a URL, one must press the Shift key while 'dragging' the icon/URL from IE to the folder.

If you don't use the shift key, you end up with a ".website" file that is more like a pinned website than an actual file.

See http://www.aztcs.org/meeting_notes/w...tcuts--IE9.pdf