New Lounger
    Thanks
    My hard drive light will keep blinking for few minutes from time to time and sometimes it will slow down the windows operation. Is this the problem of Windows 7 or the hard drive problem?

Is my hard drive going to "die"?

Thanks!

Thanks
    By the looks of it, it might be in the process of doing some background read/writes.
    Indexing or Sysyem Restore are an example of software processes that may be running in the background
    causing hard drive activity.

If your concerned about hard drive health do a checkdisk with error correction and review the S.M.A.R.T data.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Eric,

Welcome to the Lounge.

A little more info might be helpful. Are you getting error messages or crashes when this blinking of the HD activity indicator is taking place? How old is the PC? Do you have any other indications of HD problems, i.e. wierd unexplained problems, program crashes, program hangups, etc. As Clint mentions, Win 7 does a lot of activities when the PC is idle, one of which is indexing files to allow faster searches. Unless other symptoms are present I suspect this is just normal Windows activities.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the SMART and the hard disk is healthy.

I disabled the indexing and I don't know why it's still busying in the background. My PC is about 3 year-old.

Still can't find out what's wrong. But sometimes after I deleted something, I have to refresh it only to see it disappear from the folder or desktop. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Run an antivirus and antimalware check as well, if you havn't already done so.
    Also check your networking setup, like networked printers or other devices, they can often be notorious.
    Sometimes newer printers can also install networking process capabilities by defalt that would be of little use
    if your not actually using them.
    There may be many other programs that are potentially capable of drive activity as well. Go through yours for a second
    look if you havn't already done so.
    Still can't find out what's wrong. But sometimes after I deleted something, I have to refresh it only to see it disappear from the folder or desktop. Any ideas?
    This sounds more memory/resource related than hard drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Looi View Post
    I downloaded the SMART and the hard disk is healthy.

I disabled the indexing and I don't know why it's still busying in the background. My PC is about 3 year-old.

Thanks!
    Are you talking about deleting as in a file or uninstalling as in an app? You will severly limit search capabilities with indexing disabled. After a very intensive indexing initially , indexing changes is not a real time consuming activity and allows for much quicker searches.

As Clint mentions, any app running in the background could potentially cause HD activity at any given time. For example, while sitting here stareing at my screen and doing nothing, my HD activity indicator light does flash fairly often and I have almost nothing running in the background. The key word is almost nothing. My AV/AM is running and my Alps touchpad app is running along with numerous services. These can all create activity in the HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy