3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong place for this post, but I can't find anyplace where it seems to fit like a "General Computers" category of some sort. :-( My question is regarding my Dell laptop, and more specifically how often should I recharge the battery? I have typically kept it fully charged, and generally plug it in whenever feasible in order to keep the battery charged, but a friend of mine has told me I should not do that. He said I should let it run down pretty low before recharging, because recharging it all of the time will over time render the battery incapable of holding as much of a charge and will shorten the life of it. Is this true? I've heard "pros and cons" on that subject, so I am not real sure who to believe, so if anyone out there can offer any guidance I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Also, please tell me where I SHOULD HAVE put this post, because I think I put it in the wrong place. It does run on Windows 7 though, but somehow I don't think that is all that important in this case. :-(

David E. Cann

Thanks
    I suppose General Windows or even Hardware would have been good categories to place this into.

This was definitely a problem with older NiCad batteries, but is not nearly the problem with the new Lithium Ion batteries that all laptops have today. I just get in the habit once in a while of unplugging our laptops and let the batteries run down, just because.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I suppose General Windows or even Hardware would have been good categories to place this into.

This was definitely a problem with older NiCad batteriess, but is not nearly the problem with the new Lithium Ion batteries that all laptops have today. I just get in the habit once in a while of unplugging our laptops and let the batteries run down, just because.

Ted, my thanks for a quick response. I've developed a habit of using the adapter/plug a good bit of the time, partially to keep the battery charged (don't know why) but also because the monitor is brighter for my aging baby blue eyes to see, but it occurred to me that I may be unintentionally shortening the battery life by doing that.

Again, I thank you for the response. Glad to see I am not the ONLY sitting at the computer on Father's Day. :-)

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Moved to "Hardware".

I generally plug my laptop in when ever I use it, so I don't concern myself too terribly much about it.
    I think the newer technology is considerably more robust in this area, as opposed to
    technology that's, say 2-3 years old.
    There seems to be alot of conflicting information out there with regard to battery best practices....

More information: Laptop Batteries+appropriate charging

See the Dell site below for their specifics:
    Dell Laptop Battery FAQ
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    This month's PC World has a great article on Breath New Life into your Laptop's Battery, and their first don't is "Don't Run It Down". This article by Lincoln Spector is very informative. Check it out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    This month's PC World has a great article on Breath New Life into your Laptop's Battery, and their first don't is "Don't Run It Down". This article by Lincoln Spector is very informative. Check it out.

Once again, I thank you. I've just printed the article so I can read it when it's not so late (after midnight, east coast US time). I appreciate all of your help today.

David E. Cann