Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am definitely NOT of the computer generation but am an experienced newbie.
    I have home built a few computers with XP as the OS.

I read in forums when some people have problems that they should move the PCI card to another slot since there could be IRQ conflicts.
    I know this can be very long and complicated, but >>>>>>>>>>>>>

1) Is there a general rule for HOW the PCI slots on a mobo are ordered eg is number 1 closest to the CPU or some other mobo position such as the front of the mobo ???

2) Any kind of a general rule as to which slots have the LEAST possiblity of conflict with hardware ??? Does this vary by mobo normally ??

I ask this because in posts I've seen people having ethernet cards that have connection problems and the answer from responders is to swap slots with the ethernet card.

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks
    You will see some variation by motherboard, generally the PCIe slot closer to the processor is the one you want.
    If you have more than one "PCI graphics card" slot, check the motherboards specs and layout to see if placement is relevant.
    Switching can often be done easily between two PCI 16X slots. The board specs will give you the best information on how to proceed.
    If you "overpower" your PCI capability you will have problems. You have to stay within your boards specification.

Sound cards, PCI Ethernet, or firewire cards will have their own smaller PCI slots.
    Conventional PCI
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The general rule I've always stuck to is not to use the PCI (PCIe may have different rules) slot at the top, as it may be sharing resources - AFAIK that may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and model to model.

It's also worth looking in the BIOS at whether it's set to "Resources allocated manually" - or to Auto - and to whether Plug & Play O/S is set to Yes or No.

I've always used Resources - Auto - and P&P - Yes. Bear in mind that if you swap boards around, you may need to change a line in the BIOS that says Reset Configuration Data to Enabled. It will get changed back when you reboot, but allows the BIOS to rescan the PCI slots and reallocate resources.

However BIOSes differ a lot ...........

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Each slot on a PCI mobo is allocated an IRQ - this can be changed in the BIOS. This eliminates IRQ conflict.

cheers, Paul