Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate to make separate posts but don't want responses to get messed up.
    Again I am NOT of the computer generation and am only an experienced newbie.

I have built a few computers with XP with NO problems.

However I have two that can't connect vis DSL to the internet .........I have no problems on other computers such as the one I am on right now. I am NOT on a network .
    I just found out that the numbers in IPCONFIG are telling me that I have NO IP ADDRESS on the computer in question - NOT THE ONE I AM ON.

When I build these computers I do NOT have discs with drivers that come with the mobos. I install XP and they work but not in TWO cases.

I built one computer and had no sounds. I found out that XP did not load the SOUND drivers and I had to go to the MSI site and get the sound driver for that board.
    That is why I am asking if I should get the drivers from the mobo or puter maker since these are usually OLDER computers or boards with no driver discs.

1) Might that be the problem with the older DELL Dimension 4400 that will NOT connect to the internet ???

I did go to the DELL site and found a driver for the ETHERNET card for that exact DELL puter but the size is something like 82K.

I went to the SITE of the chip maker for that PCI ethernet card ( GVM I think ) and found the exact driver but it is like 1.2 MB = hell of a size difference !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any idea WHY such a difference in size from 82 K to 1.2 MB ???

WHICH should I use ? Both are from years ago judging by the dates on the drivers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks
    Hunting down drivers for your computer:
    If you built it yourself, then you'll go to the motherboard manufacturer for drivers and bios updates.
    If you purchased a computer from, say Dell, then you will go to dell and search based on either a tag number
    or model number and get the drivers based on that search from Dell.
    Drivers:
    Choose drivers with the "higher" version number or "latest" date stamp. Personally I will download all the drivers
    the site offers, just for good keep sake. Install the latest drivers. Make sure they are well labeled and organized into
    their respective folders at the time you download and store them.
    PCI Graphics Cards/Sound Cards:
    Download drivers based on that specific make & model card directly from the manufacturer. Sometimes Windows Update
    will have a driver for you. If you tinker and overclock the card, then go to the manufacturer for the latest driver, not MS.

Nowadays drivers are updated as often as you change your shorts. Getting them off the CD
    that came with your computer will mean that more often than not they will already be out dated. So check for updates often and download, organize, and store them so that you know what exactly your installing.

I have used drivers offered by Microsoft in the past without any issues. There are times also, that a driver directly from the manufacturer will offer a greater degree of functionality and tweaking capability. The choice is yours.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    "I did go to the DELL site and found a driver for the ETHERNET card for that exact DELL puter but the size is something like 82K.

I went to the SITE of the chip maker for that PCI ethernet card ( GVM I think ) and found the exact driver but it is like 1.2 MB = hell of a size difference !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any idea WHY such a difference in size from 82 K to 1.2 MB ???
    "

Ethernet CARD or CHIP on the motherboard??

If it's a chip on the motherboard, you'll need the motherboard driver (which may be a Dell special, or may be a motherboard manufacturer item. If it's a card, you'll need the driver for the card, which almost certainly won't be a Dell driver. If it's a card, you may need the card manufacturers driver, not the chip (on the card) manufacturers driver.