3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,

I need some help. I am trying to share files between two laptops. One with win7 and the other with win vista. I have a wireless router that I use. I would like to have the laptop with windows vista access the files from the laptop with win 7. I would also like to share my outlook file. I have a couple of questions. 1. if I give access to those files and they are edited, where will they reside. I would like to have them go back to the win7 laptop. 2. Is there another way to share the outlook file? Any help will be great. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The title of the thread says XP & Win7. The body of your post says Vista & Win7. Please correct on or the other.

See if Networking home computers running different versions of Windows helps.

Joe

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The files will remain wherever they are shared. (If you open a file in word on the vista machine that lives on the Win7 machine, all changes will be saved to the original location.) Later if you open the file on the win7 machine, it will be the updated changed copy.

Sharing the Outlook PST file is just plainly a bad idea. What happens if you are not connected to the home network and you open outlook? The store file that is tied to your email account on the Vista machine will not be available. Also if you are working in the PST file on the vista machine and the Win7 machine disconnects from the network, you are risking corrupting the PST file and losing everything.

As an alternative, you need to look at using IMAP instead of POP3 as the protocol to access your email from the email server for both of those machines. The only thing you lose with this method is that your contact list does not stay in sync between the two machines.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP,

I am sorry about the title it should say windows vista and windows 7. It was late at night when I was creating this thread. I will check the article you gave me to see if it helps.

Mercyh,

How does IMAP work? I have sbcglobal as my provider and they want a POP3 as smtp server (I think?). The only reason I need to share the outlook file is that my wife needs access to it too. Thanks for the information about what happens to the files once open and updated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    sbcglobal supports IMAP.

See here

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/glossary/pop_imap.html

for a short explanation of difference

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information. So basically IMAP is for leaving messages on server, what about files I already downloaded to outlook and she needs access to them. I think SBC also has a file size limit.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Both of the issues you bring up are valid.

You can actually have IMAP and POP both working on the same account and on the same email client. You can then copy and paste messages from the POP folders into the IMAP folders. This puts the messages back ONTO the server and makes them available to both.

The issue with storage is a good reason to use GMAIL. I don't know how much space SBCglobal allows but I would guess that many of us would use it up after several months or years. I know people that have many years of email stored on GMAIL. Of course this opens the privacy discussion that has been hashed all over the web. If you choose to use another provider than sbcglobal, you can more then likely forward the mail from you sbc account to that provider which would allow you to keep the same address as always.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you decide to run pop and imap concurrently on the client you need to be sure and set the POP account to leave messages on the server and once you get your old mail moved the way you want it, you need to remove the pop account.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mercyh-thanks for the info. I will look into Gmail. I will also follow your steps to make sure it leaves the email on server.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

Either I am doing something wrong or not following instructions. I did everything that was said on the video. I set up the same workgroup name for both win vista and 7. I can see both the name of each machine on each laptop. However, when I tried to share a file, I am unable to find the name of the windows vista machine or win 7 on the pull down arrow or by typing it. I have a home network set up in win7 and private home in vista (Vista only allows private and public). I have vista home premiun 32 and win7 64. I have norton in win7 and McAfee in windows vista. Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    However, when I tried to share a file, I am unable to find the name of the windows vista machine or win 7 on the pull down arrow or by typing it.
    Hi,

You don't share files with "machines" you share them with Users or Groups. As a test, try sharing a file or folder with "everyone" and see if it works. (Both machines should have an "everyone" user so it should work) Ideally you will have matching users with matching passwords on each machine. This way you can share the files with that (those) user(s) and no matter which machine you are logged into, you will have the correct credentials supplied to the other machine to gain access to the shared files.

(I hope this makes sense, it sounds circular when I read it. Anyway I know what I mean... )

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still can't get anything. I get an error that says "XXX-computer" is not set up to establish a connection on port "file print and print sharing" with this computer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The firewalls may be the problem. I don't use Norton or McAfee so can't help with the settings. Try disabling the firewalls on both machines temporarily and see if it will work.

JB

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It does sound like a firewall issue. I am not sure how Mcafee works but Norton is supposed to open the proper ports to the LAN when you turn on file and print sharing in windows.

Go into Network and Sharing Center>Advanced Sharing Settings and look at the options. Under the Home or Work profile I would tick the following:

Network discovery-Turn on network discovery

File and printer sharing-Turn on file and printer sharing

Public folder sharing-Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders.

ONLY TO TEST you could Turn off password protected sharing but once you have it working I would turn it back on and create proper users and passwords to make things work correctly.

If File and printer sharing is already turned ON, I would turn it off, save the settings and then turn it back on again just in case for some reason Norton didn't recognize it the first time.