3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

I have a wireless ADSL wireless modem/Router by 2wire. I also have a linksys wireless router. I have a DVR from DirectTV that I want to connect to the ADSL router to get on demand. Is there a way I can connect both? Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You may need to give us a picture of what you want to do. Maybe something like this:

Internet
    v
    v
    Adsl Modem/router > > > > computers
    v
    v
    Linksys
    v
    v
    DTV DVR

A couple of questions,

1. Can you connect the Direct TV DVR directly to the Adsl router?

2. Can you create a WIRED connection from the Adsl to the Linksys?

Linksys does not have the capability to BRIDGE (connect to another access point to extend a network) a connection wirelessly (at least not with the linksys firmware). It will happily connect with a wired connection. (before you do it, let us know that is what you want to do as there is a setting you need to change on the linksys so it doesn't take down your network)

I am suspicious that if you could run a wire to the linkys there is no reason to not just wire the DVR directly to the Adsl router.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is I can't run a wire to the DVR, so what I was trying to do is use the linksys as a bridge, but I don't think it would work. Thanks for the information.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The DVR should connect to any wireless router, so the second one is not necessary.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I may be misunderstanding this application, Does the DVR have a wireless server in it or does it only have a wired connection?

Can you give us the actual model and version number of the linksys? If you are willing to do a little learning, you may be able to load some hacked firmware on it and make it capable of doing the bridge.

The firmware would be dd-wrt and if your Linksys router supports it, it should be possible to do what you wish.

WARNING, it is possible to brick your Linksys router if this is done incorrectly...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PT-This is a DirectTV DVR. They told me that in order for me to get on-demand I needed to have hard wire ethernet connection.

Mercyh-I will give you the model in the next email. Currently the linksys router is just sitting in the garage collecting dust, so if I mess it up is ok.

Thanks for all the help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are the directions for setting up a bridge through dd-wrt (If you are lucky enough to have a router that supports it and can follow the instructions)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

Have a look and see if it makes sense to you at all. It is mid skill level networking, however with the step by step setup instructions a less skilled person should be able to do it without understanding all the steps.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does the Linksys router have an ADLS port? If so you only need to connect the Linksys.
    What ports does the 2wire unit have?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Does the Linksys router have an ADLS port? If so you only need to connect the Linksys.
    What ports does the 2wire unit have?

cheers, Paul
    Paul,

I think the issue is that he can't, or does not want to run a wire from the DVR to his network center location. He is trying to extend that network into the DVR location using wireless with the Linksys as the client access point to this extended network.

If his DSL runs on all his phone wires in the house, AND he has a phone jack close to the DVR, AND all his other computers connect wirelessly, it might be possible to move the DSL modem router to the DVR location and hook into the DSL there.......