New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys (and Gals),
    I have a peculiar problem which has just raised its ugly head and has left me rather confused as to where the problem really lies.
    I have an ASUS P7P55D-LE Mobo, with an i7-860 Intel chip and with 4Gb of Patriot Signature 1333 DDR3 RAM, 2 HDD's (both SATA) totaling 1108 Gb (one 300Gb for windows and 808Gb for data in 3 partitions), a DVD Burner (SATA), a 860watt P/s and with Win7 H/P 64bit loaded.

On start-up express gate comes up on the screen then a brief screen that shows loaded drive addresses etc then a short flash screen that says at the bottom of the info "detecting drives-done-no drives detected' the machine continues to run and loads windows OK.
    I have Acronis 2010 true image and disk director to backup the system and partition the hard drives (where needed) If I do the backup inside windows everything goes fine. If I need to restore windows (with windows running, though sick) I can do it from within windows also. The problem shows its head when windows will not run and I need to boot into the Acronis boot disk and run recovery from there. BUT it will not. as the BIOS says it cannot see the drives (detecting drives-done-no drives detected) and Acronis reports that there were no drives detected also and cannot proceed.
    It seems as though for some reason or another, even though the BIOS sees the drives (enter BIOS setup and drives are reported as they should be) a very short time later the BIOS reports 'detecting drives-done-no drives detected' and then (in the event of trying to recover the C drive from an Image) Acronis also reports that there are no drives detected yet the system boots into windows correctly.
    Is it Acronis? Is it some unfound setting in the BIOS. that is causing this error

The relevant BIOS settings are:

SATA config...........option to set to enhanced or compatible tried both and have left it set to enhanced.
    config SATA..........tried both, normally set to IDE, when set to AHCI Bios still reports 'detecting drives-done-no drives detected' and continues to load windows and BSOD occurs. reset to IDE, all OK.
    other option is RAID and have not tried that.

I maintain about 40 computers for family and friends and though 'my' system is running well some others, on XP, do give trouble from time to time and I am sure I am going to need this answer sometime in the (near?) future.

My Win7 is running beautifully and has been for 8 months and I have no problems with it though a few apps do not like win7 and a few do not like 64bit, but I have no complaints. In keeping with the TV adds, 'windows7 was my idea'. Love it.
    Thank you in advance as I am quite sure that a lot of smarter guys than me are out there and will have heard of this in the past or who can nut it out, I cannot.
    Looking forward to replies,
    Cheers
    Allan.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Wallace View Post
    Hi Guys (and Gals),
    I have a peculiar problem which has just raised its ugly head and has left me rather confused as to where the problem really lies.
    I have an ASUS P7P55D-LE Mobo, with an i7-860 Intel chip and with 4Gb of Patriot Signature 1333 DDR3 RAM, 2 HDD's (both SATA) totaling 1108 Gb (one 300Gb for windows and 808Gb for data in 3 partitions), a DVD Burner (SATA), a 860watt P/s and with Win7 H/P 64bit loaded.

On start-up express gate comes up on the screen then a brief screen that shows loaded drive addresses etc then a short flash screen that says at the bottom of the info "detecting drives-done-no drives detected' the machine continues to run and loads windows OK.
    I have Acronis 2010 true image and disk director to backup the system and partition the hard drives (where needed) If I do the backup inside windows everything goes fine. If I need to restore windows (with windows running, though sick) I can do it from within windows also. The problem shows its head when windows will not run and I need to boot into the Acronis boot disk and run recovery from there. BUT it will not. as the BIOS says it cannot see the drives (detecting drives-done-no drives detected) and Acronis reports that there were no drives detected also and cannot proceed.
    It seems as though for some reason or another, even though the BIOS sees the drives (enter BIOS setup and drives are reported as they should be) a very short time later the BIOS reports 'detecting drives-done-no drives detected' and then (in the event of trying to recover the C drive from an Image) Acronis also reports that there are no drives detected yet the system boots into windows correctly.
    Is it Acronis? Is it some unfound setting in the BIOS. that is causing this error

The relevant BIOS settings are:

SATA config...........option to set to enhanced or compatible tried both and have left it set to enhanced.
    config SATA..........tried both, normally set to IDE, when set to AHCI Bios still reports 'detecting drives-done-no drives detected' and continues to load windows and BSOD occurs. reset to IDE, all OK.
    other option is RAID and have not tried that.

I maintain about 40 computers for family and friends and though 'my' system is running well some others, on XP, do give trouble from time to time and I am sure I am going to need this answer sometime in the (near?) future.

My Win7 is running beautifully and has been for 8 months and I have no problems with it though a few apps do not like win7 and a few do not like 64bit, but I have no complaints. In keeping with the TV adds, 'windows7 was my idea'. Love it.
    Thank you in advance as I am quite sure that a lot of smarter guys than me are out there and will have heard of this in the past or who can nut it out, I cannot.
    Looking forward to replies,
    Cheers
    Allan.
    Allan
    Hello... I have had similar problems in the not to far past (with Acronis and BIOS) My own fault as usual. i was unable to boot from the Acronis disk or from the normal boot process. At boot time i entered "boot menu" (my system Esc) and was able to get one of my "OS's" up. From there i reloaded my BIOS program, and then all was well .... still haven't figured out what exactly happened... but can guess that it was me ! Have no clue as to your problem, ... just to offer this possible solution One other suggestion...have you tried to do a "repair" using your "7" disk? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred
    Thanks for the moral support, and no I have not tried a windows repair yet as I believe it to be a BIOS or Acronis fault, but I will keep it in mind, if I cannot sort it out I will try anything. First thing may be a BIOS update, but will let it ride for a while as I said before it is not ultra urgent and my system is running fine ATT.
    Cheers
    A

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I got it going though not the way I would have liked to have, but a usable fix. I have to accept a bit of performance loss but I am not a 'gamer' so the loss is acceptable (just).
    The motherboard P7P55D-LE has 6 SATA ports and one IDE port, so, I installed a 160Gb IDE hard drive and made it my default operating system drive and deleted the first partition on the 808Gb SATA drive (which was my Win7 drive) after recovering the backed up Win7 files.
    The system now runs a 160Gb IDE Win7 drive , a 300Gb SATA BackUp drive and a DATA Partition along with a DVD Workspace partition on the 808 SATA drive.
    Not ideal but as I said acceptable, as now I can BackUp and recover from any position or state no matter what happens which is what I wanted to protect my system.
    Still a bit bemused about the fact that Acronis will not see a SATA drive in the BIOS but once it is running from the boot disk and see's the IDE drive it will now see the SATA BackUp drive to supply the files for the recovery of the Win7 drive. ???

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Whatever O/S Acronis is using does not have the appropriate SATA drivers available during the initial part of the boot process so it can't see the drive. Those most likely get loaded later when devices are enumerated.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes Joe, I quite agree with that and it is the root cause of why I had to install the IDE drive in the first place even though in the BIOS, the setting "config SATA" is set to IDE.
    I would have thought that would have set the drivers in the BIOS to IDE so that Acronis can see the SATA drives but as you say they are not being loaded soon enough.
    Is there a way of ensuring that the drivers are loaded sooner in the start up process???

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The BIOS is completely separate from whatever OS is loaded by the Acronis boot disk. It is complete separate from Windows. Netiher Acronis nor Windows has anything to do with what the BIOS recognizes. If the SATA drive is not seen in the BIOS then it would not be available as part of the boot process. If it is seen in the BIOS, then whatever OS is being loaded must have a minimal driver of some sort to recognize the SATA drives and allow them to be used as a boot device.

Joe
    Joe