Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the Style pane, there are times when a style shows (usually found because it's one I don't recognize and want to clean up). It gives me the option to "Select all 2 instances," but when I choose that, it goes to a place in the document where I can't see that anything is selected. I can't see that it would be in background/header/footer text. Any idea what it's finding and how to get it to show?

Related: When there are multiple selections, it goes to the first. Is there a way to go to subsequent selections?

Thanks - - - Sher
    Thanks - - - Sher

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sher View Post
    but when I choose that, it goes to a place in the document where I can't see that anything is selected. I can't see that it would be in background/header/footer text. Any idea what it's finding and how to get it to show?
    Is it going to a hidden paragraph marker? Does Showing Non Printing Characters help?
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does the document have tracked revisions or hidden text? Are you in Normal View or Page Layout View (floating objects aren't visible in Normal view)?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    Is it going to a hidden paragraph marker? Does Showing Non Printing Characters help?
    I always show all characters and as far as I can tell, none of those is selected. I can't even see where the cursor is, but it definitely goes to a place in the document so I have to believe it's finding something -- it's just not showing me what!
    Thanks - - - Sher

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Does the document have tracked revisions or hidden text? Are you in Normal View or Page Layout View (floating objects aren't visible in Normal view)?
    No tracked revisioins. No hidden text that I know of -- at least nothing I did! Same problem in print, outline, and draft view; can't see anything highlighted or even see a cursor. Very frustrating.
    Thanks - - - Sher

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There is no cursor! You have asked it to "Select all instances". Whenever you make a Selection in Word, there is no cursor.

Instead what happens (for me) is that as you scroll through the document you will see selected any occurrences of the chosen style.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you post a sample document that demonstrates the problem and tell us which style you are looking for?

Failing that, if you do a Select All and change the styles to something else, is it then impossible to find any hits on the style you were previously searching for?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    There is no cursor! You have asked it to "Select all instances". Whenever you make a Selection in Word, there is no cursor.

Instead what happens (for me) is that as you scroll through the document you will see selected any occurrences of the chosen style.
    OK, my document is over 250 pages. I did actually undertake to scroll through it once and I didn't see any occurrence selected. Thus my frustration. In my experience, when I've said to "Select all instances," it goes to the location of the first one so I can deal with it appropriately. Even in instances where there IS only one occurrence, it jumps to a location in the document, but I don't see anything.
    Thanks - - - Sher

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Can you post a sample document that demonstrates the problem and tell us which style you are looking for?

Failing that, if you do a Select All and change the styles to something else, is it then impossible to find any hits on the style you were previously searching for?
    Andrew, I was hoping to get some clues as to how to approach this without dissecting the document (over 250 pages). It's one I've recently converted (forcefully, unfortunately, due to corporate "upgrade" from Word 2003 to Word 2007) and I'm trying to clean it up.

But it sounds like y'all don't have any more experience with this than I do, so I guess I'll continue to troubleshoot on my own -- when I have time. My preference is to always use styles, but Word 2007 isn't making it easy for me to find that errant formatting and change it. And I sure don't want to convert in areas I'm not looking at -- talk about unintended consequences!!
    Thanks - - - Sher

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I certainly haven't seen it but then I have never felt the need to do a Select All for a style either.

When cleaning up existing documents I use the Find/Replace function - if you used that and did a search for that particular style then the problem text (or space) would be selected. If the document contains styles I don't want then I just delete them knowing that the content that used that style would return to the Normal style.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this topic has been inactive for a few weeks now, but here's one possible answer.

Using Word 2003 I have found the same issue with trying to select all instances of a style that is definitely in use, but nothing is actually selected. If the style has been used in a table, but the table cell is empty, Word doesn't select that instance of the style - even though you have asked it to select all instances. It can select empty paragraphs that are not in a table, but not empty cells.

Don't know if this is the same for Word 2007, but it seems quite likely.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can only select all instances if "Keep Track of Formatting" is selected under Word Options/Advanced. Generally that's not a great option to enable. My guess is that if that is on you probably have some char styles and legacy info. I'd also check to make sure that the compatability has been updated to Word 2007. If it's "custom" that would explain a lot. Probably have some weird line height code set.
    Finally, take a look at your ruler. If there are a bunch of tab stops, definitely carrying legacy code.