4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Netgear Wireless G router that I set up using a Sony Vaio PC running XP that is now about 7 years old. Everything works great except that the PC is getting a little long in the tooth and we (my wife and I) almost never use it anymore, using the laptop as our primary computer. A friend of mine gave me his old IMac 20, (I'm not sure of the model or anything) I have connected it to the network wirelessly and that all worked great.

What I want to do now is to retire the old PC and set up the MAC as our desktop computer. I figure that I basically will just start over with setting up the router, using the MAC.

Here's my question, do I need to delete the Netgear software from the desktop and do something to de-commission the wireless network from the PC or do I just set up another wireless network on the MAC. The Netgear setup disk includes setup for MAC, Also, will I have any problems with a wireless network that is setup on the MAC and being used on a Windows laptop? Thanks for any help you can offer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why would you need to resetup the network? Networks are platform independant. (The same settings on the router should work on Mac, PC, Linux, Unix, etc.)

If it is working on the MAC now, I do not see any reason to fool with it. If you are wanting to go wired, It should be as simple as plugging in the cable and it works. (This is assuming your friend did not have any special settings on that Mac for his network.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe I don't need to. The router seems to run fine when the desktop PC is turned off, so I don't think it is using anything on it. Will I ever need to go back and change any settings? I haven't yet and have had the router up and running for 8 - 10 months.

The MAC is working fine, connected to the wireless network. I am probably just not explaining my question right or maybe you have already answered it. The router is working, does it need to be connected to any type of computer or does it just continue on it's own? Thx.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    Maybe I don't need to. The router seems to run fine when the desktop PC is turned off, so I don't think it is using anything on it. Will I ever need to go back and change any settings? I haven't yet and have had the router up and running for 8 - 10 months.

The MAC is working fine, connected to the wireless network. I am probably just not explaining my question right or maybe you have already answered it. The router is working, does it need to be connected to any type of computer or does it just continue on it's own? Thx.
    Just as mercyh indicated, your Mac can continue on in your existing network whether your old PC remains or you toss it out. The router does not depend on any of your computers. Your computers are dependent upon your router. I have an iMac connected with my router via wifi, and there is a PC connected to the router via Ethernet. Whether or not our PC is on, off, or even there makes no difference to my iMac running well on the network.

Enjoy your Mac!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The router is totally independent of any PC or MAC on the network and you do not need the software installed on your computer to make changes. All you need to do is type the router's IP address into a web browser, supply the user name and password and you will be into the router configuration pages.,,,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help. I will get it set up this week.