5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Palm Vx and USB adapter

Hope I'm in the right forum. This is a HWSW problem
    I'm using a Palm Vx in the office, with a serial connection. Works fine. Just got a new Dell 4100 desktop for home, with only one serial port., which I'm reserving for my camera. Want to send Palm data one way to desktop. Got a PDA USB-to-serial adapter for the Vx serial cradle. When I configure the adapter software it says the output is on COM3, and passes the adapter's test. I configured the Palm's Hot Sync software for COM3 and it starts the sync process, but fails. The error msg says "communication link broken".
    Q1: Does the Palm's OS store the COM port info from the office PC (which is on COM2) or is that strictly a function of the local Hot Sync sw? The error is similar to those I've seen when the com ports weren't set up right.
    Q2: What other solutions are available?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Palm Vx and USB adapter

Howard,

Hi, I just had this problem last week from a friend at school. Here is how I solved his problem with his USB sync.

First, make sure the Hot sync is running in the task panel. Right Click on the icon. Make sure the USB is checked. Shut down (not restart) your machine. Plug in your USB connection with the palm pilot in the cradle. Boot up your machine.

I hope this helps. Let me know if this doesn't work.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bookman21,
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I tried what you said but I got torpedoed pretty quickly. There is no USB option on the Hot Sync context menu. Only SetupLocalSerial Port. This makes sense because the Palm Vx has a serial cradle with a third party USB adapter that's supposed to convert to serial. The Hot Sync Manager is version 3.1.0 and doesn't kmow from USB. Any other thoughts?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You might want to consider the new Palm OS release that should be out soon. It is supposed to make the benefits of the 4.x OS available for earlier models, including the Vx, and it does support USB.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm running a Handspring with a USB cradle. My setup may not match yours so my solutions may not work for you.

I'm running HotSync Manager 4.0 from Palm and it has a USB option that works for me. I've also abandoned Handspring's desktop software in favor of Palm's 4.x line. Perhaps a HotSync Manager and Desktop upgrade is in order. They are free from palm.com

New Lounger
    Thanks

Howard,

You might want to see if there is any updates for the hotsync manager and for the palm os. That is only other option. You could be a direct usb cradle, but I know it cost more money.

I hope this helps.

Bookman21