Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, Word Help is no help. It doesn't even have a help entry for "Disable Linked Styles" even though that's a box at the bottom of the Styles pane!

So, exactly what does it mean to "Disable Linked Styles"? What will be the effect on my document if I do or don't have this box checked?
    Thanks - - - Sher

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Linked styles can behave as both a paragraph style, which applies to a whole paragraph, and a character style, which can apply to a part of a paragraph. When linked styles are enabled, you can select a few words in, say, normal paragraph style text and apply a heading style to it (all headings styles are linked styles). Only the selected text will change to the heading style.

When linked styles are disabled, The entire paragraph will change to the heading style.

To get an understanding of why linked syles were created, see the Microsoft Support article How to create a table of contents by marking text in Word.

Linked styles have been in Word since W2002, as anyone who suffered from the char, char scourge well knows.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Pam! I thought I'd read something about it somewhere but couldn't find it again. (And yes, I remember that char char thing. Not sure I ever figured out what to do about it, though!)
    Thanks - - - Sher