Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
  1. #16
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have traveled in Saudi Arabia and have seen excellent looking boxed software with very realistic copies of the Microsoft hologram label selling for as little as $20 per box. Even the discs inside look very real, and there are documents with the registration key included. They are all FAKE. I would not buy any of these even if they might run on your computer.

    For some time, I have remained with Office 2000 that can even handle all of the new file formats from Office 2007 using the free converters from Microsoft. However, with my new computer running Windows 7, Word 2000 will not run. PowerPoint and Excel 2000 are OK. So I tried the free trial of Office 2007 that came with my computer for 30 days. I hate the ribbon. Out of desperation, I tried OpenOffice Writer. I love it!!! Here are all the good features of Word 2007, but without the ribbon - just the Word 2000/2003/XP toolbars with which I am familiar. Not everything is there, but its fast and easy to use and very familiar. Try it. Meanwhile, I will be exploring the other packages in OpenOffice.

    The one package not in OpenOffice is a replacement for Outlook. Thunderbird is a great email reader, but it does not have an integrated calendar and appointment scheduler. Any suggestions??

  2. #17
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Brookline, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    604
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dick, thanks for the tip about fake Office. I'll stick to the regular retail channels. I do need MS Office because I use Outlook heavily. I like the integration of mail, calendar and contacts.
    HH

  3. #18
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    652
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Caro View Post
    The one package not in OpenOffice is a replacement for Outlook. Thunderbird is a great email reader, but it does not have an integrated calendar and appointment scheduler.
    Dick, I have seen a number of computer geeks recommend Thunderbird so I have been using it as my email app for about a year now. I have to rebuild the Inbox index file almost every day. Don't other people have that problem? You didn't indicate if you actually use Thunderbird but I've been determined to ask the next person who suggests that Thunderbird is a good email reader. Just wondering about other's experience.

    Thanks, Bill

  4. #19
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Mt Macedon, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    3,993
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 45 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    I have to rebuild the Inbox index file almost every day. Don't other people have that problem?
    I have been using Thunderbird for a few years now. I don't know that I ever have to rebuild the Inbox index, but I compact the folders every few months.
    What is the symptom that makes you rebuild the index?
    Regards
    John



  5. #20
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    652
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    What is the symptom that makes you rebuild the index?
    The Inbox is empty -- all the Inbox messages are missing. In most cases they are not really missing but are not being displayed. In that situation I have to close Thunderbird and go to the file folder where the Inbox file is located and delete the Inbox.msf file and then open Thunderbird and wait for it to rebuild the Inbox index.

    I used to have a lot of messages in the Inbox and I was told that was part of my problem so I am down to about 140 messages there now. I was also told (in the Thunderbird forum) to turn on automatic compacting so I did that and now the Inbox is compacted almost every time I delete a message in the Junk folder.

    Bill

  6. #21
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    652
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I would be very careful and suspicious of these sites. I would stick with a bigger, better known site. The S/W may cost more, but you are buying peace of mind and customer service. Go to Nextag or Pricegrabber to see what deals you can find for Office 2007.
    I just followed your advice and went to Nextag and found a nice low price for Office Pro (about $150). After drilling down a number of steps to a full display for that product it had a warning in red that said that this product was not eligible for the free upgrade to Office 2010! It is not clear why it is not eligible but a person can certainly be missing the desired result if they bought it based on one of the higher level pages.

    Bill

  7. #22
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,625
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 929 Times in 851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    I just followed your advice and went to Nextag and found a nice low price for Office Pro (about $150). After drilling down a number of steps to a full display for that product it had a warning in red that said that this product was not eligible for the free upgrade to Office 2010! It is not clear why it is not eligible but a person can certainly be missing the desired result if they bought it based on one of the higher level pages.

    Bill
    I suspect that the copies of Office 2007 they have for sale were purchased by them before the special offer from MS. That would make them inelligible for the upgrade. That may very well be the case for many of these less expensive alternatives. That may very well be why they are less expensive. I would also suspect that these low cost alternatives are either fake are do not qualify for free upgrades. You may have to continue searching to find a low cost alternative that also qualifies for the upgrade.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  8. #23
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    652
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I may just continue to use Office 2000 Pro. I suppose there is some security risk in that but my PC is very will protected so I'm not too concerned.

    Bill

  9. #24
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Brookline, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    604
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    I just followed your advice and went to Nextag and found a nice low price for Office Pro (about $150). After drilling down a number of steps to a full display for that product it had a warning in red that said that this product was not eligible for the free upgrade to Office 2010! It is not clear why it is not eligible but a person can certainly be missing the desired result if they bought it based on one of the higher level pages.

    Bill
    Another reason that it's not eligible is that Nextag may not be an "Authorized Reseller".
    Howard

  10. #25
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Emigrant, MT, USA
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Caro View Post
    I have traveled in Saudi Arabia and have seen excellent looking boxed software with very realistic copies of the Microsoft hologram label selling for as little as $20 per box. Even the discs inside look very real, and there are documents with the registration key included. They are all FAKE. I would not buy any of these even if they might run on your computer.

    For some time, I have remained with Office 2000 that can even handle all of the new file formats from Office 2007 using the free converters from Microsoft. However, with my new computer running Windows 7, Word 2000 will not run. PowerPoint and Excel 2000 are OK. So I tried the free trial of Office 2007 that came with my computer for 30 days. I hate the ribbon. Out of desperation, I tried OpenOffice Writer. I love it!!! Here are all the good features of Word 2007, but without the ribbon - just the Word 2000/2003/XP toolbars with which I am familiar. Not everything is there, but its fast and easy to use and very familiar. Try it. Meanwhile, I will be exploring the other packages in OpenOffice.

    The one package not in OpenOffice is a replacement for Outlook. Thunderbird is a great email reader, but it does not have an integrated calendar and appointment scheduler. Any suggestions??
    Dick, try the Lightning add-on for Thunderbird if you want an integrated calendar and appointment scheduler. I've been using it for some time now and it works great! Get it here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/

  11. #26
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    What I see (as shown in the Chinese posted earlier) is not actually the site, but a web server error message. I don't read Chinese, but the last line says HTTP ***404.
    This is a standard web server error.
    John, the domain is registered to someone claiming to be in China. The web site is hosted under a large range of addresses assigned to a company in Missoula, MT, but the particular server is listed as being administered by someone in China. Thus, it is reasonable to assume that the store, such as it is, is based in China.

    The reason you may be seeing a 404 error and others do not is that the site runs a script from lockview.cn. On the home page at www.lockview.cn, according to a Google translation, the company lists "Powerful features: support for different styles effects to meet different customer needs [ fake Web results ][Can not find the site effect] [Turn results]..." So the 404 appears to be a smokescreen related to your browser or IP address. To test this theory, you could redirect cn01.lockview.cn in your hosts file (or block it at the firewall, or if you are running IE add it to the Restricted Sites list) and see what happens.

  12. #27
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hope this might be of some use to you all.

    http://www.microsoft.com/student/off...s/default.aspx

    This is for Office Pro Academic 2010 for $79.95 USD

    But there is one drawback

    You must have a valid e-mail address at an educational institution ending with the domain suffix .EDU (i.e., leina@contoso.edu) OR have a valid email address at one of the educational institutions listed

    This is run by a company called Digital River. If you have ever gone to office.microsoft.com they control that as well for Microsoft. DR is a 3rd party retailer for Microsoft.

    Microsoft Store has the same Student Discounts for Office but this ended when 2010 was released.


  13. #28
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Hepler, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    136
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here is the reply I received from one re-seller when I asked if the Microsoft Office Professional 2007 they were offering was elgible for the Office 2010 upgrade:
    Thank you for checking with us.
    MS is being tricky with this free upgrade. It is not only when you purchase product but when the product was manufactured. As no one will actually know if their product qualifies until they register with Microsoft we cannot guarantee our product (or any product) will work!

    My take on this is there's no way to tell if the product you buy, regardless where you buy it or how much you pay, will qualify until you've spent the money. Therefore, the MS Upgrade offer is just fecal material from a bull.

  14. #29
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Beware,,
    look for the details described in here.
    Some disc sets come in old genuine MS boxes, but the discs are fakes.
    http://reviews.ebay.com.au/How-to-te...00000012013959

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •