Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updater

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Freeware updaters are always welcome if they work, and I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried and can tell us about Appupdater

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I put these types of programs in the same spot I do with driver updating programs.
    Will NOT waste my time and/or money on them.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I put these types of programs in the same spot I do with driver updating programs.
    Will NOT waste my time and/or money on them.
    I specified that it was free and asked the opinion of anyone who had tried it. I spotted it in a list the ten most popular downloads at Tech Republic.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Freeware updaters are always welcome if they work, and I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried and can tell us about Appupdater
    peterg,
    Hello..... i have not tried the one you mention , but have had good results with "File Hippo" http://www.filehippo.com/ It has a free program that checks your system at boot time ( if you have it configured that way) and sits in the "tray" unobtrusively. Lets you know if there are any updates for your "OS" Check it out. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    peterg,
    Hello..... i have not tried the one you mention , but have had good results with "File Hippo" http://www.filehippo.com/ It has a free program that checks your system at boot time ( if you have it configured that way) and sits in the "tray" unobtrusively. Lets you know if there are any updates for your "OS" Check it out. Regards Fred
    Hey Fred, hello. What is the name of the program we should look for a File Hippo? They have a lot listed.

Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Hey Fred, hello. What is the name of the program we should look for a File Hippo? They have a lot listed.

Ted
    Ted Hello,
    Here it is.... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The download link is actually Update Checker, and I am a long-time user of that as well. I think, however, that it mainly (or exclusively) checks for freeware and add-ons. Some programs will notify registered users of updates, there is also an updater program that certain installations will check your system (weekly, by default) for updates to their sets of programs, as an HP customer I am subjected to their scans and updates by the truckload, and I have heard rumours that even Microsoft might install updates automatically.

Some like it, some don't, but many of us welcome a bit of automation in helping us stay up to date. A lot of programs will let you run them without even telling you that there is a more recent version - you have to perform a manual check every time you use them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Ted Hello,
    Here it is.... Regards Fred
    Hello Fred,
    I'm glad it wasn't a snake, it would have bitten me. My eyes must be getting worse. Thanks. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I have an account at CNET. It has a section that sends an email if a program on your watch list gets updated. Its very flexible.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use Secunia PSI. Reputable company, free, all you ever need.

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    I use Secunia PSI. Reputable company, free, all you ever need.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    I agree "Secunia PSI" is excellent. and should have mentioned it also ( senior moments ) I use both File Hippo and Secunia, as file Hippo gives some updates for things like my Nvidia graphics card driver , that secunia doesn't. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Fred, I'm not a fan of updating drivers. Security patches are all I add unless I have a problem.

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Fred, I'm not a fan of updating drivers. Security patches are all I add unless I have a problem.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    Generally good advice ! But..... give you a personal "for Instance".. A few weeks \ months ago (its all a blur when you over 60) "File Hippo" gave me a notification for a "Nvidia" video card update..... so rather than downloading from the "Hippo" site, i decided to go to the source and see "what was up " seeing i had updated when installing my "VGA" card not too long before( sometime far away and long ago).... turned out that my previous "update" was causing "fan speed problems" ! So..... in this case, if i didn't do the "check" i would have added to my long list of personal foibles . See.... It isn't always "cut and dried" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried all of those mentioned, but have yet to hear a peep from anyone who has tried the one I asked about. I guess I'll have to break down and give it a blind try myself.

There is one obvious source that I completely overlooked, and for which I apologize, and that is that in this very forum Joe P reports frequently on new versions or major updates. All we have to do now is find out where he gets his information, or at minimum keep an eye on this forum, as he seems to be the first to know.

Drivers are an entirely different matter, but they are a good example of something for which a personal visit to the manufacturers site is the best course. Just make a collection of bookmarks and schedule regular (and probably infrequent) visits.

Thanks
    Update Checker just found an update for CCleaner for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast