Thread: Dual booting

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dual booting

Hi.

I've got a laptop with Win2K on it. It's really good for the business work that I do on the laptop, and it doesn't crash every five minutes like 98 used to. Only trouble is, none of the children's education stuff works on it. I'm therefore thinking of putting Win98SE on the second partition and dual booting.

Does anyone have any experience of this? What are the pitfalls to avoid? Am I likely to adversely affect my win2k setup (because if so, I ain't doing it)?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Dual booting

I have been dual booting Win98 and W2k on a desktop for a couple of years and WinMe and Win XP beta since the release of Beta2 on a lap top. I have not had any problems, but, I use the NT loader that comes with W2k and XP. The Win 98 and Win Me needs to be on the C drive and the other (2K and XP) can be on any other drive. You can get "Drive Magic" from the makers of Partition Magic which allows one to select different partitions as the "C" drive and the other partition is hidden from the different OS's.

You will need to have most of the software installed in each (both) OS's to run properly and problem free. If you use the NT Loader method, you can share files across the different OS"s. I share all data files and my Outlook "PST" file, this way I have my emails and address current regardless which OS I am in.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dual booting

I would suggest getting the MSFT Press Win 2000 Resource Kit book.

It might cove rissue of installing Win 98 AFTER Win 2000 in a dual boot environment.

I have a dual boot Win 98/Win 2000 system, with NO problems, but I already had Win 98 installed.

Do you really want your kids messing with the laptop that you use in business? Whilst booted as Win 98, they could do serious harm to your Win 2000 files.