Thanks
    I am running Windows 7 with all Service Packs and Patches.
    The Graphics chip is Nvidia GE Force 7500 LE (according to Windows it is up to date)
    The Monitor is an ACER X233H which according to MS is Compatible and needs no additional drivers and is using Generic PnP Monitor (also up to date)

Intermittently when starting up Windows reverts to a minimum screen resolution (640 x 480)
    If I then go into Screen Resolution and press the DETECT button it comes up with X233H and sets the resolution to the correct (1920 x 1080)

This might not happen for several weeks and then one day back to minimum Res and we do the cycle again.

It is not major, it only takes a few seconds, but is this a known bit of erratic behaviour, or ought I to be seeking a better driver for the Monitor?
    Andrew

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sounds like a "Flaky" graphics driver!

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    I guess it would depend on how long this monitor behavior has been going on too.
    It's possible the driver had become corrupted some how, especially if this behavior is of recent origin.

A complete reinstallation of the driver, and or, a check on Nvidia's site for a driver version number comparison
    between what your running now and what is currently being offered.

Was the driver updated previously via Windows Update, or downloaded from Nvidia?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    It is not always the best option to have the very latest up to date graphics driver. I have seen flacky problems with graphics drivers that when rolled back to a somewhat earlier driver, stabalize and work much better. My philosophy is that if I have graphics driver that seems to be working well for my needs, I don't necessarily load new drivers just because they are available. There has been a new driver for my graphics card for a while and I just hide it in Windows Update. You might go to Nvidia and see if a slightly earlier driver is available or see if they have been having problems, or do a Google search for your graphics card to see what others are saying about drivers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    It has only happened since Windows 7 installation.
    The Nvidia driver is

Dated 27/09/2009
    Version 8.16.11.9107
    Publisher NVIDIA

An Update On Line Search says that it is up to date, but possibly worth a look at the NVIDIA Site
    Andrew

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try updating to the latest driver. I have 8.17.11.9745, dated 4/3/2010 and it looks like a newer driver, dated 6/15/2010 is out . Never trust anything other than the NVidia site to tell you whether you have the latest driver. For example, Windows Update will tell you only about the latest driver that it has, not the latest one available from the hardware manufacturer.

Thanks
    I have downloaded an NVIDIA driver (latest number compatible).
    Will be shortly creating restore point and then installing driver when finished scanning

Will post results if success, but might take a few days because problem was quite intermittent.
    Andrew