Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 4 computers running through a router and a switch using Windows Vista. All computers were working fine when going to the internet. Now one computer shows local only on the task bar and in the network and sharing center. I noticed that the computer that can't get to the internet shows local under IPv4 and IPv6. All the other computers show internet for IPv4. I ran an ethernet cable from a different room that works to see if the jack in the wall was bad. I still had local only. I then removed the ethernet card in device manager to redetect the card which it did. Still have the problem.

The attached file was put on a different computer from the problem computer. So, I know the internal network is working.

Any ideas on what to do to get the local changed to internet in the network center?

Thank you,

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could you go to the command prompt and issue and
    Code:
    ipconfig /all
    on both the nonworking machine and a working machine? I am interested in the IPV4 addresses. What I specifically want to know is, are the "Default gateway" and "DNS server" entries the same on both machines.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also if you are able to log into the router's interface and look at the DHCP clients table, I would be curious if it shows an IP address handed out to this machine. (If you give us your router model number, we can tell you where to look). You may need to write down the MAC address of the nic from the ipconfig screen so you can identify if this machine is listed in the DHCP client table on your router.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked the default gateway and the dns. They are both the same on the good and bad computer. The IPv4 on the good computer is 192.168.0.103 and the IPv4 on the bad computer is 192.168.1.104. I noticed under the static DHCP which is disabled, all computers show the DHCP client address of the bad computer on my D-Link 604 router. I have attached a jpg of the router window. I was unable to access the router from the bad computer.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I noticed under the static DHCP which is disabled, all computers show the DHCP client address of the bad computer on my D-Link 604 router.
    Could you please clarify this statement? I can't follow it.

Try the following:

In your router, release the address for the bad computer (on my router there is either a release or delete button beside the client that will do it.) Then on the bad computer, disable and then reenable the network adapter. This should clear any ties in the router's dhcp client table to that IP address and then computer should get a new, clean address.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would also disable temporarily disable IPV6 on the non working computer's nic and see if that makes any difference. (you will lose homegroup and network map capabilities while this is disabled.)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Seems that the bad compy is not requesting an IP address. Please post the output from ipconfig /all on the bad compy?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

did you see this?

I checked the default gateway and the dns. They are both the same on the good and bad computer. The IPv4 on the good computer is 192.168.0.103 and the IPv4 on the bad computer is 192.168.1.104. I noticed under the static DHCP which is disabled, all computers show the DHCP client address of the bad computer on my D-Link 604 router. I have attached a jpg of the router window. I was unable to access the router from the bad computer.
    AHH..
    I just read this again. Is this 192.168.1.104 a typo? On the router DHCP table it shows as 192.168.0.104.
    192.168.1.104 is outside of your subnet.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Go back to your Network and Sharing Center. Click on the red X. The computer will fix itself.

YMMV. A double-click may be necessary.