2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to prevent users from opening more than one instance of the same database.

How do I do that?

Thanks,

JoeK

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The only way I can think of to do that is to configure the user so they open the database exclusively - that's an option you can set. However that will also prevent other users from opening the same database if you are using a shared front-end. So you would need to deploy the front-end to each user's PC presuming that you have a multi-user situation.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have a look at this .
    Regards
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I split my databases into front-end and back-end - the back-end is on a server, and the front-end is compiled into an .mde or .accde running on each user's PC.

The back-end database has a Users table, which contains records for those who can use the database. Within this table is a flag called UserIn, which I set when a user first logs into the database, and unset when they log out of the database. This way, when a user tries to log in, I can check if they're already logged in and prevent duplicate use. I can also see who is using the database at any time.

Of course, I have to unset this flag manually if their PC or the network fails, but this is rare.