2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Couple of questions

1. Can I put a folder in a library

2. Can a put a folder or file into multiple libraries

Thanks

Thanks
    Another thread has a discussion of Libraries in Win 7. A Google search shows many links to explanations of Win 7 Libraries. The short version is that Libraries do not hold actual files or folders, but instead are "Pointers" to the actual files or folders. The Libraries are a convienent place to put these pointers that are very easily accessible and very easy to find. The links will show how to create files or folders and place pointers to those files or folders in the Libraries as well as create customized Libraries for many different types of files or folders. This is a very simplistic explanation, but the links will go into greater detail.

Please note that if you delete a Library or a pointer in a Library you will in all probability delete the actual file or folder no matter where it is located that the Library points to. This is important info as it is not a good idea to delete these files or folders or Libraries from within the Library. Any deletion should be done from the actual folders the data is located in.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Daniels View Post
    Couple of questions

1. Can I put a folder in a library

2. Can a put a folder or file into multiple libraries

Thanks
    Hi Phil,

You can right click on any folder you want and select Include in library, and another panel will pop out listing the libraries to choose from and the option to create a new library.

You can include a folder into more than one library.

If you include a folder in a library, and later decide to remove the folder from the library, just right click on the folder inside the library, and select Remove location from library, and the folder will be removed, but your original source files will be not be deleted. If you were to select files inside a library folder and delete them from the folder, then your original source files will also be deleted.

If you want to see where the source files are located, you can right click a folder within a library and select Open folder location. Try it on one of the Documents library folders and you will find that the original source files are stored within your user profile on C:\ drive.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted, Gerald - that answers my questions

I wonder if its worth the time, effort & cost to move to Win7, given that I've just started to use Junctions on my XP system to achieve a similar effect.

pd

Thanks
    Phil,

That is an entirely different topic, and probably has been covered elsewhere, but again a short answer is that Win 7 is considered much more secure than XP. Also support for XP will not last forever, so a some point in time to continue your security measures you will be again at a point where you will need to answer this same question again. I would check the Windows 7 Compatibility Center before making this important decision. Also run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Phil,

That is an entirely different topic, and probably has been covered elsewhere, but again a short answer is that Win 7 is considered much more secure than XP. Also support for XP will not last forever, so a some point in time to continue your security measures you will be again at a point where you will need to answer this same question again. I would check the Windows 7 Compatibility Center before making this important decision. Also run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.
    XP Support runs out April 2014, I am planning on replacing my system in Q1/2 2013, that's when I've been thinking of migrating to Windows 7 (or 8). My current system is Win7 capable, but there is no compelling reason to go to Win 7 (apart from perhaps Libraries). I don't buy the security argument - more secure from who or what - me ?

I wasn't intending to imply that Libraries and Junction Points are inherently one and the same - clearly they are not. But the way I am thinking that might use Libraries would achieve the same end result as I am currently getting from my use of Junctions Points.

pd