New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello everyone,

When XP-SP3 came out, I was able to make a slipstreamed CD of my XP Pro + SP3.
    There have been many updates since, and my PC has been kept up to date with them.
    But XP support will end soon, so I would like to download ALL the updates since the release of SP3, and burn them to DVD.
    That way (if ever I need) I can re-install XP-SP3 from my slipstreamed CD, and then apply all the updates, without having to
    download them at that time. I could also use the updates on other PCs, eg wife's, son's, daughter's.
    One is always in a hurry when doing a re-install, and I suspect that an on-line update at that time would take a long time.
    Could somebody please enlighten me re how I could download all the past updates, and save them on my PC for re-installation later?

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Bob,

Welcome to the Lounge!

Have you ever considered instead of reinstallation and download of updates afterward that a complete system image will actually be more effective at getting back to where you were prior to the problem. An image in essence takes a photo so to speak of your entire partition, burns it to the back up media of choice (by you) and can remake your system exactly as it was before the problem. There are even ways to use this image to put your system on a new hard drive if the one it was on fails. Obviously all the rules governing putting the OS on more than one hard drive would still apply. This image will contain everything on the partition including the OS, all installed apps, all customizations you have made, everything on that partition. There are many threads in the Lounge talking about imaging as the best protection for you system. Plus it's much quicker than a reinstall as the apps are already there as well. You would generally image the partition containing the OS and apps, not a data partition. Other back up schemes work better for data partitions. Do a search in the Lounge for imaging or disk imaging or do a Google Search on the net for same. Be wary of some of the sites from Google. Check out the recommendations from the Lounge.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob, I think you will still be able to use Windows Update or Microsoft Update on XP for some time.

"Extended Support" for XP is scheduled to be retired 4/8/2014. (Or 8/4/2014, depending on which page you look at.)

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...=en-gb&C2=1173
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...pha=Windows+XP

(Due to compatibility issues, I'm stuck on SP2, support of which is scheduled to end 7/13/2010. I hope this only means that there will be no new patches, and that the availability of old patches will continue, but there are some alternatives if the old patches aren't available through the Windows or Microsoft update sites.)

GM

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.
    I already use Acronis to clone my hard drive, and have to admit that it's saved my hide a few times!
    My wife tends to keep her laptop at the office, and is not inclined to image/clone or do anything she regards as 'technical';
    son and daughter live away from home but still expect me to keep their laptops going - again what they do is out of my control.

I just felt it would be a good idea to have a local copy of all the fixes to date, so that they can be readily applied wherever needed.
    I see that M$ has already ended mainstream support for XP-SP3, but continues 'Extended Support'. Don't really understand
    what that might be.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try going to Windows update (MS website) and on the left margin there should be a Use Administrator options choice. Click on that and then on Windows Update Catalog link in the first paragraph of Update multiple operating systems. Install the Active X control for the update catalog and then enter a search term to try and narrow down the results. There's a ton of stuff in there and the most difficult part is trying to find the pertinent updates. I put in XP updates in 2010 and still got a full search table of over 1000 since there are also updates for peripherals and devices of all sorts there as well. Looking at the fields I'm thinking maybe adding the classification description (Update Rollups) in the search would do the trick.

Good luck.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Have you ever considered instead of reinstallation and download of updates afterward that a complete system image will actually be more effective at getting back to where you were prior to the problem
    Ted,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there are several reasons why preparing a slipstreamed version may perhaps be preferable, or at least a good addition:

1. An image will work fine reinstalling to the same (or similar) machine to that upon which the image was made. But if there are significant differences in the hardware (and therefore drivers), it can be a pain (if it is possible) to do the installation. Is this no longer true?

2. Again, if the hardware is different, it may give problem with activation. In doing some troubleshooting recently, I tried temporarily transferring the hard disk from a known good system to the problem child, but I could not even boot up without going through a re-activation. I didn't continue, so I don't know how easy it would have been to address this.

3. These two reasons would appear to suggest that this might not be the best approach to cover the other PCs, eg wife's, son's, daughter's, that Bob wants to cover.

4. I think many of us (perhaps mistakenly?) feel that there may be benefits in occasionally doing a clean reinstall of Windows and other applications,at least to get rid of all the detritus that tends tp accumulate.

However, I question whether the end of support will cause non-availability of archived updates from MS. I can still obtain updates to Windows ME, even though support ended an eon ago.

On the other hand, on several occasions I've been glad to use the slipstreamed SP3 that I made. All I need to do now is to be more disciplined in keeping it updated. I'll certainly do this when support ends.

Chris

Thanks
    My recommendation is to Image ALL PC's, not just 1 to fix all. The Imaging S/W I use does allow reinstallation to a new HD for example if a HD has failed. Yes it may require reactivation, but this is a simple process (I have done so on 2 occasions with no problems) as a call to MS.

A slipstreamedd disk can work, if you continue to create new slipstreams each time a new update comes out, but this only works for the OS, not for all the installed apps. A system Image of each PC (I do mine once per month to a 1 TB ext HD) allows ALL info on the partition to be reloaded without having to go through the process of reinstalling all apps and redoing all customizations you have done. I have done dozens of customizations on my OS and installed numerous apps, all of which would have to be redone with a slipstreamed disk containing just the OS. With an Image, poof it's done in a jiffy.

As I stated my Imaging S/W (Acronis True Image Home 2010) also has the Plus Pack which includes the ability to reinstall to a bare bones system. Yes slipstreaming, if kept up to date can reinstall an OS with all updates to the point the slipstream was done. However, nothing else on your system will be there until you reinstall everything, including all your documents, data, contacts, pics, music, etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borbiro View Post
    ... I just felt it would be a good idea to have a local copy of all the fixes to date, so that they can be readily applied wherever needed. ...

That's not a bad idea.

I know you can use Belarc Advisor to list the updates that have already been installed on a system, and use that to search for at least some of the corresponding installation files on the Microsoft Download Center, and/or try The Software Patch, which lists post-SP3 patches chronologically. You can probably slipstream patches into your XP SP3 installation package also, when and if you feel it's appropriate.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...e=n_dc&pf=true
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/

GM

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi GreyMack

When you mention the Belarc Advisor then let me insert my question too.

Yes I know I am too slow to update my off-line PCs, but anyway... recently I ran this advisor and got a list of 60+ updates AFTER SP3, which it seems critical or important. I have downloaded them all, although it was a cumbersome procedure.

Note that my PCs were connected to a non-internet network, I can claim nothing about other PCs (i.e. virus/worm etc).

The problem is that while applying all the 60+ patches I spent more than 2 hours... nearly every time restarting PC.

My question is that: Is it okay to postpone reboot until after all the patches had been applied? OR is there an automatic way to apply all patches without manually: run | next | accept | finish sequence?

A side question: Is it possible to simplify the procedure of downloading many updates at-once without repeating (search | click | download | save | save-as) scenario?

Thanking you in advance.
    [hr]
    Kamran (کامران)
    Islamabad, Pakistan