Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    This is my first time on the Lounge for a while, and I find that unlike some members of some other forums those on this one are amazingly polite.

Anyway, down to business. Having just followed the thread about problems in using Windows' System Restore feature, the making of an 'image' was mentioned, twice. Please tell me, how does one go about making an image.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonner Gearon View Post
    This is my first time on the Lounge for a while, and I find that unlike some members of some other forums those on this one are amazingly polite.

Anyway, down to business. Having just followed the thread about problems in using Windows' System Restore feature, the making of an 'image' was mentioned, twice. Please tell me, how does one go about making an image.
    Bonner,

Welcome to the Lounge!

I would first read through many threads in the Lounge on how to Image your partition. We have discussed this topic often in the Lounge as it is a very important topic. Once you have gained some knowledge on the subject you may find you have an understanding, but have a few specific questions that will be easier to answer than a very general "How do I do this". I hope this helps to get you started.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Bonner,

As Ted said, you will find a lot of references to the subject of imaging drives here in the Lounge. Since you use Windows 7, check out Windows Backup while you are studying the topic. Windows Backup has imaging capability built in, so you can take it for a test drive. It is not the greatest image backup software available, but it is a decent start.

While you check out Windows Backup, and the subject of imaging, take a look at preparing a Windows 7 Repair Disk. You should see prompting that you have not created one yet when you open Windows Backup. The procedure will use Windows 7 built in CD/DVD burning software to burn your disk. The repair disk will help you if you have problems booting into Windows down the road, and also includes an option to restore your image backup.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Some information on Windows 7 Backup and Restore. I recommend a thorough read before trying.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, thank you Ted, Gerald and Clint. I shall make use of all of those suggestions. Since my post I have done a little digging and see there are a number of imaging programmes available for download, both freeware and payware, but I'll try your suggestions first, and in a day or two let you know the results.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Following up on my request as in this thread, although I have not yet created an image of my drive, my data are in a much more secure position than they were when I made that post. The answer was an investment in a HP Simple Save 1TB external HDD. It saves my files incrementally and automatically whenever the computer has been idle for 5 mins or more. Folders and files are displayed la Widows Explorer. Moreover, not only is there no softrware to install (already preinstalled on the HP) but also I can use it to back up my two PCs and a laptop. The software displays and saves a report automatically. Worry and effort free.

I have also purchased a WD 1TB external on which I shall image my drives.

Thanks
    Following up on my request as in this thread, although I have not yet created an image of my drive, my data are in a much more secure position than they were when I made that post. The answer was an investment in a HP Simple Save 1TB external HDD. It saves my files incrementally and automatically whenever the computer has been idle for 5 mins or more. Folders and files are displayed la Widows Explorer. Moreover, not only is there no softrware to install (already preinstalled on the HP) but also I can use it to back up my two PCs and a laptop. The software displays and saves a report automatically. Worry and effort free.

Good morning again Bonner. Backing up your data is all well and good and should be done whenever necessary, but this does not give the same protection as an image because it does not preserve the basic system, but just the data. To give the peace of mind, a full system image is just the ticket. I would recommend not putting this chore off for very long. I would suspect the software installation would be necessary for the image. You will also have to create a system rescue (repair) disk for whatever image software you choose so that all the files necessary to allow the image to be seen and loaded are available during the time the reinstallation from the image is performed.

The Ext HD should work just fine to store the images (I say images because any changes you make to the basic system will be lost if a new image is not available.) I reimage my system about once per month. At some point I will begin to elliminate old images, just keeping the original when my system was new and fresh and perhaps the latest 1 or 2. Since I seem to always be tinkering with my system, or trying new S/W, much of which is uninstalled, I spend a lot of time cleaning my system to keep it lean and mean, and this requires me to keep a newer version of my image to save the time necessary to get back to where I was if I bung things up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You might like to give a trial version of any of the imaging programs suggested in the threads a try. See also the recent post on ShadowProtect which is for a recent version, and for which you can download a trial version.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bonner, if you can make yourself comfortable using Clonezilla, you might try that program for creating an image that will include both the windows OS and your data. This evening, as an alternative to eliminating a nasty set of viruses on my wife's computer, that somehow made it past our router, I used Clonezilla to restore my wife's windows partition from a Ubuntu Linux partition. The time to restore 25 gigs worth of OS and data was approximately 30 minutes, plus an additional 15 minutes to update Windows and Office from Microsoft. My wife's computer is an IBM 2.8 ghz, with a hard drive that is partitioned into 110 gigs of windows NTFS running XP, and 40 gigs of Ubuntu Linux (She rarely uses Linux.). Download Clonezilla from www.sourceforge.net, and burn it to CD as an iso with Nero. Then set up your computer so it boots off the Clonezilla CD. The program runs completely in RAM, and doesn't touch the hard drive until you tell it to do so. Last December, I used Clonezilla to make an image of the Windows partition and store the image in the Linux partition. The NTFS windows formatting, etc. was preserved, even though it was stored in a folder in the Linux ext3 file format. This evening, I restored the windows partition from the image stored on the Linux partition. Alternatively, there is a step in the Clonezilla operating procedure that allows adding a usb device (flash drive or usb hard drive) as a place to store the image. You do have to know that the Windows partition is almost always called hda1 or hda2 instead of a "C" drive, and the Linux partiton is hda4 or hda5 (and not the SWAP), but you can use Clonezilla to go from Windows partition to Windows partition, or Windows partition to Linux partition, or (when restoring) from Linux partition to Windows partition or Windows partition to Windows partition. The price is excellent also ($0). BTW, sourceforge.net is an excellent place to get "free" software that doesn't have viruses, malware, etc.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    I have also used Clonezilla and although it worked very well on my Linux partition, I felt it was very techy and not nearly as easy to use (user friendly) as was Acronis (I use this on Windows) or Macrium. The only reason I used Clonezilla is because Acronis is for Windows only (I think).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks

This sounds like a good plan, although you may also want to hard copy specific software, word/excel/notpad documents, product keys, and anything else that can easily be burned to DVD or stored on a usb thumb drive. You can also make a copy to store offsite as well, like at work, or in the safety deposit box of a bank. It all depends on what your data is worth to you. I alway use the approach; "What would I do if I were to loose all the data on my computer", or "what would I do if the house burned down".
    These questions are for you to answer.
    CLiNT
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I am (sort of) chuckling at the fact that we still haven't answered the OP: How do I make an image? Some of these programs are user-friendly and others are not. What is the exact procedure for making an image using, say, Acronis (with Plus Pack) or an image with Ghost, or with ShadowProtect, or with (MS) Maintenance Backup and Restore?

How do I make an image? Follow the documentation, sure, but is the documentation any good and does anyone even know where and how to find it? Naming programs doesn't tell a user how to make an image. Name a few programs and tell us how to do it, and while you're at it rate the programs for ease of use. Tell us the cost in economy of drive space, imaging time, and that sort of thing. This is a good thread - let's keep it going.

Thanks
    I started a new thread for these step by step directions. My hope is that others will add similar step by step procedures for the apps they use for their Images.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Newegg has Acronis True Image Home 2010 for $9.99 after mail in rebate and includes free shipping. How can you beat that????
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Newegg has Acronis True Image Home 2010 for $9.99 after mail in rebate and includes free shipping. How can you beat that????
    It is a pretty good sign that Acronis 2011 is now in beta. The rebate is a bit mysterious, but once you have the product be sure to install it and register it, and you will qualify for discounts and deals directly from Acronis if you don't mind getting mail from such sources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast