Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello All

I have a PC with a Gigabyte GA-8SQ800 motherboard . It is running Windows XP Home, Servce pack 3 The motherboard has four 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets. It supports memory sticks in the amount of 128MB, 256MB, 512MB AND 1GB of unbuffered DRAM. The maximum amount of memory it supports is 4GB.

The computer works fine with two 512MB sticks of RAM installed.. I attempted to upgrade the amount of RAM to the maximum of 4 GB, and put four 1GB sticks of RAM in each socket. When I did that, I started getting issues where the computer will suddenly reboot, then display a "this system recovered from a serious error" when XP comes back up.

To troubleshoot the RAM itself, I ran MemTest on the RAM and it passed. I removed all but one stick of 1GB RAM and tried that. Still got the error. Tried the 1 GB stick in different sockets. Still got the error. Tried a different 1GB stick in different sockets, Still got the error. It doesn't matter which of the four DIMM sockets is used, which stick of RAM is used, or even if I put a 1GB stick in some or all of the sockets. I am using 1GB sticks of Kingston value RAM, number KVR333X64C25. I even borrowed a different stick of 1GB Kingston value RAM, number KVR400X64C3A, and experienced the same problem. I also had the computer do this when I was running a utility from a boot disk, so Windows wasn't even in the equation at that time. Heat is not a factor, either. I've added additional cooling..

The PC is still useful to me, and I suppose if it does not like 1GB sticks of RAM I can just avoid them. But if someone has any ideas they can pass along on what might cause the motherboard not to be able to support 1 GB RAM sticks, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Thanks
    It looks like you have the correct memory, according to the Kingston Technology Memory Upgrades Homepage
    for your make and model of board:

Search Results for: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800/GA-8SQ800 Ultra Motherboards
    Memory upgrades:
    KVR266X64C25/512 512MB 266MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 DIMM
    KVR266X64C25/1G 1GB 266MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 DIMM
    KVR333X64C25/512 512MB 333MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 DIMM
    KVR333X64C25/1G 1GB 333MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 DIMM
    Have you tried a bios update recently?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    You may also want to confirm your memory voltages;
    From the FAQ:
    Based on DDR memory specification, the deafult voltage (Vdd) is 2.5v. If your memory modules needs higher voltage to work, please check your MB H/W and make sure the board provides related feature to increase Vdd later

Confirm I have the correct manual for your board.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint

Thanks for the help. Yes, that is my motherboard manual. I am a couple of versions behind on the bios - the version history doesn't indicate any changes in the subsequent versions for memory compatibility. I can update the bios and see if that solves the problem.

Not sure about changing the voltage, according the manufacturer, 2.5 v should be correct.

Kenn

Lounger
    Thanks
    I changed the dram voltage to +0.1v (over the normal 2.5). That's as much as the motherboard allows. That didn't help.

I also updated the bios to the highest non-beta release. I'll see how that goes. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks
    After flashing your bios the the latest version...
    Remove all the memory, then try to p.o.s.t , you should get the beep error.
    Shut the power to the board off for a few minutes, then install only 1 RAM stick at a time.
    (Look through the motherboard manual for the correct placement for the single ram stick).

See if you can get into bios, check your memory timings, clock frequencies, and voltages.
    You may need to "tweak" some of these settings in order to get the board to work.
    Go over the Motherboard manual carefully. From what I've been reading, setting up memory with this board can
    be somewhat tricky.

The BIOS Setup of GA-8SQ800 Ultra offers options for basic memory timings adjustment and setting the dual-channel mode for the memory controllers. But these options are hidden by default. In order to reach this sub-menu of BIOS Setup, press Ctrl + F1.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did the CTRL + F! key combination at the BIOS main menu It added an "Advanced Chipset Features" section to the BIOS menu.

Under Advanced Chipset Features I found the following:

Configure DRAM Timing [Auto]
    CAS Latency Setting [Auto]
    DRAM RAS Active Time [6T]
    DRAM RAS Precharge Time [3T]
    DRAM RAS to CAS Delay {3T]
    Dual Channel Mode [Enabled]
    AGP Aperture size [64MB]
    AGP Fast Write Support [Auto]

Not sure what I should be doing with any of these settings, other than leaving them at "Auto" Do you have any advice as to what needs to change to make the memory stable?