New Lounger
    Thanks
    We have a new Dell machine. After joining the domain and installing Symantec Endpoint Protection, it will not search for new windows security updates. It returns and error code 8024402C - Cannot Search for Updates. We have removed Symantec, checked the HOSTS file, checked for viruses, made certain there are no proxy servers specified.

Thanks
    Many regular Loungers will probably be disappointed at this suggestion, but I would try to solve this issue by going the excellent Symantec Customer Support desk.....(If their product is disabling functionality in Windows 7, they need to know about it for the sake of other user. Nevertheless, the following link MAY take you to a solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936

Alternatively, the following has been provided by a MS Engineer (Martin) on a MS support forum: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...c-17429550546d. In addition to the response pasted below, there are other possible solutions on the same site.

"If you receive Windows Update error 8024402C while checking for updates, you might need to do one of the following:

• This error might be caused by a program running on your computer that is preventing Windows Update Services (SVCHOST) from accessing the Internet. Programs that might do this include firewalls, anti-spyware software, web accelerators, Internet security or antivirus programs. and proxy servers. If you have any of these programs running, you might need to turn them off while downloading and installing updates. Microsoft recommends you turn them back on after updating your computer. For more information, see Windows Update error 80072efd.

• If the computer is connected to a network at work, contact a network administrator. You probably receive updates using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), a service that enables network administrators to deploy and manage updates for all computers on a network. For more information about WSUS, go to the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) website.

• If your computer is usually connected to a network at work (for example, if you use a mobile PC but you are currently using it at home or at another location), you probably receive updates using WSUS and can not receive updates by connecting directly to the Internet or to another network, such as a home network. To solve the problem, connect to the network at work and try checking for updates again, or contact a network administrator. To see if your computer's updates are being managed by a WSUS server, do the following:

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.

2. If your computer is managed by WSUS, you will see You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator near the bottom of the page.

If your computer is being managed by WSUS, you can connect to the WSUS server either at your work, or through a virtual private network (VPN). If this doesn't work, you can try connecting directly to the Microsoft Updates website by doing the following:

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.

2. Click Check online for updates from Microsoft Update Service.

• If the computer is connected directly to the Internet or to a home network (and never connected to a network at work), you might need to set Internet Explorer to automatically detect local area network (LAN) settings so Windows Update can go online to obtain updates. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.

2. Click the Tools button, click Internet Options, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.

3. Under Automatic configuration, select the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Martin
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Going through your post it appears I pretty much have done all of that without resolving the issue. One thing I have noticed is that Windows Updates shows as "Managed by your Administrator". This would normally be connected to a Windows 2003 SBS. Currenlty it not connected to that domain but on a peer network for troubleshooting. Also the Symantec EndPoint has been removed from the system.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have this same issue - the problem is that you joined a domain and system administrators can set up the domain such that patches only come from an update site within the domain. Sysadmins do this so that they can control which patches get placed on corporate PCs and when they can be applied. This gives the sysadmins time to test the patches with the software used by the typical corporate desktop. This was the situation I was in with XP and with Vista.

On my corporate Windows 7 laptop, going to Windows Update results in the same error. But there is a workaround on my Windows Update dialog - a link that says something like "install patches directly from Windows Update". When I click on that link I can access the real Windows Update site. If you do not see such a link in that dialog, then your sysadmin has disabled that capability.

Your only recourse is to talk to your sysadmin.